VOGONS

First post, by ConteZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

in the spare time I managed to compile and run MUNT to work with Armbian.
Armbian is a linux distribution that works on ARM set top boxes (my favorite "flavors" are AMLogic S905, S905w, S905x, S912) and MUNT can be brought to life in a standard Armbian environment (you just have to install all the required source packets, git the source code and compile the stuff).
I did on an old Odroid-C2 to do some experiment then I moved to Beelink GT-1 (S912).

Beelink-GT1-2-1.jpg

Unfortunately I only own a limited number of old set top boxes and GT1 lacks a proper analog out (for now I fixed the problem with a cheap USB audio card) but it's a great Pi alternative (and with a better box - that I also own - there's room to try fluidsynth with a large sountfont) at less than half the price.

I'm still experimenting, but the USB-MIDI cable is already here and as soon as I'm able to make a breakout cable I'll try that.
For now the GT-1 can be powered from a USB2 port (power draw never reach 5V, 2A) and it could probably be turned on and off with the standard remote.

Reply 1 of 3, by ishadow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could also use old x86 thin client. Single core 1 GHz ones should be enough and they cost 10-15 USD or even less, since they're useless for almost any modern thin-client use.
Such old thin clients have serial ports, so it should be possible to use SoftMPU serial output and regular serial cable.
I don't know if Munt supports data from serial port, but it can be added in the source code. USB Midi cable is also an option.

Anyway elegant and cheap solution. You could even 3D print a custom case for the thin client imitating the look of real MT32.

Reply 2 of 3, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ConteZero wrote on 2023-06-21, 14:24:

Hi all,

in the spare time I managed to compile and run MUNT to work with Armbian.

Very cool! I love projects like these, using hardware that's gonna be chucked for other purposes.

Reply 3 of 3, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ishadow wrote on 2023-06-24, 18:54:

You could also use old x86 thin client.

Yup, that's what I've done. An old Dell Wyse client. I followed Philscomputerlab's tutorial https://www.philscomputerlab.com/roland-midi- … project-20.html to create the ultimate MT-32/Wavetable device. Works really well and covers most bases for your synth needs.