VOGONS

First post, by hexfield

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks, I've used Munt before but it's been a while. Installed it again recently to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It's the Steam version of the game. Got MUNT and the Roland ROMS installed. Also installed CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth so I could make MUNT the default midi device and that way I wouldn't have to mess with game settings. This seemed to work. I was able to change the midi output device in VirtualMidiSynth from the default Microsoft Wavetable to VirtualMidiSynth itself with some random sound fonts, and over to MUNT. The instruments sounded different each time I changed the output so I could tell it was working.

However, MUNT sounds way off. The Indy theme is playing in strings instead of horns and other instruments seem wrong. It doesn't sound at all like youtube vids of the MT-32 playing the game. I tried loading the game up in ScummVm (configured the game settings to use MUNT, bypassed VirtualMIDISynth entirely) and got the same results. I can tell MUNT is working because I can see it capture scummvm and the leds light up, the instruments are just wrong. Finally I downloaded the midi file of the Fate of Atlantis theme and loaded it up in Munt directly and it still sounds wrong.

Is something wrong with my Roland ROM files? I tried replacing them with new ones but had the same issue. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 6, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The native windows application provided with the Steam version of Fate of Atlantis has been modified to use a General MIDI instrument map. Most of the original DOS game files are provided in the Steam release, but annoyingly, ATLANTIS.000 is missing (it's been packed into the windows executable)- meaning it won't run out-of-the-box with DOSBox or ScummVM. As with many other titles, the GOG release is much more retro-friendly.

A partial workaround for the Steam windows release is to configure MUNT to use a somewhat GM-compatible instrument map:

1. Download the zip file from this post: Re: Anybody tried this with your MT-32?,
  2. Extract MT32_GM_Mode.syx from the zip file
  3. Load MT32_GM_Mode.syx into MUNT using the Play MIDI File option (in MUNT, select Tools->Play MIDI File, click Add, find the file, click Play)

Running Fate of Atlantis after doing this should make it sound a bit more like the original version.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor

Reply 6 of 6, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't own the GOG version, but my understanding is that it simply contains the files from LucasArts' talkie version configured to run via DOSBox- therefore retaining native MT-32 support.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor