VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by davidshq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to share an old DOS game I have rights to in a cross-platform manner. The easiest way to accomplish this without a rewrite is to have it run in DOSBox or something similar. I know GOG has used this method with a number of their games.

It's been a few years since I've played one of GOG's games but I seem to recall the experience being seamless. One didn't notice that DOSBox was running, it just worked. I'd like to do something similar. Folks would download the game and be able to launch it without needing to know anything about DOSBox.

My question: is there any documentation on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Dave

Reply 1 of 1, by Terrapin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sounds similar to the "Portable Dosbox Autolaunchers" project I've been working on. Basically, it is comprised of a file/folder structure with an optimized .conf file and Dosbox included. Along with .bat files which make it easy for the end user to lauch the game. I can quickly modify it use with other games on an as needed basis. All the end user needs to do is plop the game files in a specified folder and run Setup.bat for config (when applicable) and [Game Title].bat to run the game.

I'll try to explain how it works...
Starting with the file/folder structure.

.\[Game Title]\
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title].bat
.\[Game Title]\readme.txt
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\Setup.bat
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\[GAMEDIR]\
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\Dosbox\
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\Dosbox\[Game Title].conf
.\[Game Title]\[Game Title]\Dosbox\Setup.conf

I hope that's not too confusing 🤣. Take note of the .bat and .conf file locations.

How it works:
The end user places all original game files in the [DOSDIR]\ folder. From there, the [Game Title].bat scripts tell Dosbox to run with the custom [Game Title].conf file (located in the Dosbox\ folder), and the .conf files issue commands in Dosbox via the autoexec section.
The same is true of Setup.bat, pointing to .\Dosbox\Setup.conf instead (since the bat file is in the previous folder to that of Dosbox).

With Dosbox and the .conf files existing within the folder structure (and the .bat and .conf files all pointing to places therein), once they're set up properly they are completely portable.

If you want, I can link you to the files I have in cloud storage. You can open the .bat and .conf files in Notepad to get a better idea of how they work.

I'm still working on cleaning up all the 'launchers' I've made, updating the readme files for more uniformity, updating the .conf files to match the one I've created that includes more detailed descriptions of each string and their variables... The list goes on 🤣.