VOGONS

First post, by Terman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to change the DOSBox keyboard layout to uk but cannot find a uk.kl file and do not understand how to create one. I can find a Freedos keyboard.sys file but have no idea what to do with it and would welcome some advice. OS is W98SE.

Reply 1 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What dosbox version?
Copy the keyboard.sys from freedos into some directory you have mounted,
then (in dosbox) change to that directory so if you "dir" the keyboard.sys
is visible. Then type "keyb uk" again.

Reply 2 of 14, by Terman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks wd - I had the keyboard.sys file in the wrong directory!!

Reply 3 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Think you can put it in the same directory as dosbox.exe and dosbox.conf are,
and use the keyboardlayout=uk then.

Reply 4 of 14, by twilighte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, no idea where to find a keyboard file, especially one for the Finnish layout i am using here. Can anyone help?
I am using DosBox 0.70 for Windows and running under Vista.
I also notice that i cannot modify dosbox.conf directly in notepad, for some reason it cannot write any changes back to the config file. Maybe some Vista Crap?
However i was able to save it using another text editor i have.

Reply 5 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok, no idea where to find a keyboard file

Search for the freedos keyboard layout pack on the web
(fi.kl or keyboard.sys should be in the package).

Reply 6 of 14, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Goto the freedos keyb site and download the precompiled layouts (at the bottom of the site, the last line actually)
Download the "x" file and extract the Bin\*.Sys files to the DOSBox directory.
Be shure that they are extracted directly under the DOSbox directory, so no subdirectories, as else DOSBox can't find them.

keyboardlayout=fi should then work.

I should add some extra steps to the DOSBox FAQ for this...

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 7 of 14, by Terman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would also be helpful to know what is in the three different .sys files available. Keyboard.sys worked for me, but presumably keyboard2.sys and keyboard3.sys are needed for something? The link at the bottom of the site did not work for me, but there is one near the start of the page which did.

I have to say that the help available on this forum is the best I've experienced for any software.

Reply 8 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There's a readme for the freedos keyboard layouts, the different .sys files
simply contain different layouts.

Reply 9 of 14, by DiBosco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can get the UK keymap loaded by issuing the keyb uk command and that indeed makes the keypresses correspond to the keys. However, when I do that, it stops my CAD system running! Is the keyb command a TSR that is maybe eating up memory I need to run my application? Has anyone come across this sort of problem before?

Many thanks!

Reply 10 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Which keyb is that?

Reply 11 of 14, by Terman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just added the Freedos keyboard.sys file and modified the dosbox.conf file to suit. This worked perfectly for me.

Reply 12 of 14, by DiBosco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The keyb is a file I downloaded from here:

http://projects.freedos.net/keyb/

I tried putting keyboard.sys file in my home directory - this is on a Linux machine - (which is where my dosbox.conf file was generated) and modding the .conf file to say keyboardlayout=uk. This didn't work at all though.

One thing that's potentially interesting is that if I boot my CAD system, then use the drop to DOS function (whereby the program's still running) I can map the keyboard and it's fine until I drop back out of the CAD system. It then says:

Can't restore Int 15h

Then I can't run the CAD system again.

Cheers!

Reply 13 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That keyb is buggy.

Either use the dosbox-internal keyb (ie. remove the freedos one)
or use an older version of the freedos keyb (see the dosbox readme).

Reply 14 of 14, by DiBosco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had tried that, but it said that there was no map for the UK keyboard. I've had a slap the forehead moment though, because originally when I tried that I couldn't find where on the pc all those DOSbox files were that come up when you invoke the program, so I couldn't work out where to put the keyboard.sys. However, of course, you can put keyboard.sys where you mount the c drive and then run keyb from the z drive. Duh!

That works now - thanks very much!

BTW, is it right that the only way to give focus back to Linux is to exit DOSbox altogether?! Or is there an arcane set of keypresses to get back to Linux? 😀