VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I'm building a compilation of DOSBox(0.70, but also tried with CVS) with some games and a dos based menu to run them, so if I need to change a setting like cycles or core I just write "cycles=max" or "core=dynamic" at the DOSBox prompt and it works(actually it's in a batch file, but it's the same).
However, when I want to run Digger(original) I write "machine=cga"(I will probably have the same problem when I'll get to Gauntlet), but it doesn't work 🙁 .

So my question is: Is there any workaround to get machine type to change while DOSBox is running? Something like the "rescan" internal command only for the display instead of the file system?

A couple of things I'd like to point out:
* I am aware of frontends, I just don't want to use any for this project.
* I do not want to restart DOSBox for every game, I want to play all games from the same "instance"(hopefully this is the correct expression) of DOSBox.

BTW, this has nothing to do with my problem but I am just curios: If I run DOSBox with default settings and then close it and change machine to CGA in dosbox.conf and then I drag(I'm using Windows) a folder to the DOSBox executable the machine is still set to VGA. Once started without dragging once, CGA then works with dragging again. Is it a bug or intentional?

Thanks,
Og

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Og wrote:

BTW, this has nothing to do with my problem but I am just curios: If I run DOSBox with default settings and then close it and change machine to CGA in dosbox.conf and then I drag(I'm using Windows) a folder to the DOSBox executable the machine is still set to VGA. Once started without dragging once, CGA then works with dragging again. Is it a bug or intentional?

Sounds like an impossible bug to me - and I can't reproduce it. I think you are misinterpreting something.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Nope, too many machine checks scattered around i think.

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the (very) quick reply though 😀

MiniMax wrote:

Sounds like an impossible bug to me - and I can't reproduce it. I think you are misinterpreting something.

Yes, it was my mistake... I don't know why I thought it was OK after starting DOSBox without dragging. Now that I checked again it seems that dosbox doesn't use dosbox.conf at all when dragging, I.E. console gives the message:
"CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a configfile to change them"
Instead of:
"CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf"

Hmmm, I have a theory(hypothesis?) about why this happens, is it possible that windows is setting a different "work directory" variable than the one dosbox.exe is in when dragging a folder(or an executable) to it? (as opposed to dragging a folder/exe to a dosbox shortcut(which works fine, I.E. loads dosbox.conf) which set the "work dir" to the location of the "start in:" field of the shortcut)?

Reply 4 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Where do you keep your dosbox.conf? It worked perfectly for me with the config file in the same folder as DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If I am not mistaken, when you drag'n'drop a game to Dosbox, Dosbox is looking into the game's folder for the conf.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use a DOSBox shortcut with a -conf statement added to it for dragging and dropping. This is what I do when I am experimenting with finding optimal settings for a new game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This isn't a problem... I usually use the shortcut on my desktop for testing, and everything works fine, it's just that I stumbled upon this behavior and since I was already opening a topic about my real problem, I just pointed it out, but then MiniMax said that this doesn't happen to him so I got curious 😜