VOGONS

First post, by super_hoops1967

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've downloaded the SWOS-Total Pack. and i've calabirated my joypad fine (it works 100% in the menu's) i'm using the ps2 to usb converter. the analogue sticks are turned off

BUT

when i go to play a match in swos the players won't move DOWN....i can run up and side to side but not down...

anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by NateDoggUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try XPadder mate, worked a charm for me. It allows you to map the buttons and D-pad/sticks on your pad to key strokes, allowing you to fool the game into thinking you're using the keyboard.

Reply 2 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Joystick/Joypad support in DOSBox is quite sophisticated, you won't need XPadder (even though it's a great application). I have a XBox pad connected via an adapter, and it works perfectly in DOSBox. Let's start with the obvious: is the joypad working with other games? Does DOSBox correctly identify the joypad (you should see something like "Using joystick XBCD XBox Gamepad with 6 axes and 12 buttons" in the DOSBox Status Window)? Next thing to try would be the "timed" entry in dosbox.conf. Try both "true" and "false" values.

If it still won't work, post your dosbox.conf, and system specs.

Btw: playing this game on the PC seems like blasphemy for me - Amiga ftw! (;

Reply 3 of 9, by NateDoggUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dosbox recognises my PS2 pad perfectly it just won't work at all. I can press the button to get past the intro screen but that's it. It doesn't recognise the directional pad or sticks and no button work. I am running this on Vista though, this may be the issue.

I have an Amiga 1200 but my Python stick has died and now so has the keyboard 🙁

Reply 4 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the game somewhere, i'll try it when i have the time.

In the meantime, some questions for both of you, NateDoggUK and super_hoops196:
- Where did you get the game from? Was that a legal download, or did you get it from an Abandonware site? If it was Abandonware, did you look/post in the forum of the site you've downloaded the game from?
- Which version of SWOS are we talking about? I'm not quite sure which versions have been released on the PC, but on the Amiga the game has been released in various versions.
- Are your joypads working correctly with other games/emulators? What about other games in DOSBox?

EDIT: NateDoggUK, what's up with "So I finally got my pad working for SWOS" on the other thread? Stop this damn crossposting! You won't get any more attention by opening various threads.

EDIT2: I think i found out what this "Total Pack" is. It seems to be a "distribution" of DOSBox 0.72, bundled with various versions of the game and what looks like a simple frontend. More info here. To be honest, i don't want to install this pack. AFAIK, the game has not been declared freeware, so i think this pack is illegal.

Reply 5 of 9, by NateDoggUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it from here, a site which is officially linked from the Codemasters site itself so I assumed a legitimate download. It's also available at (deleted). Not sure what this Total pack is mind.

As for cross posting I initially posted asking for help with my own USB pad in it's own thread, I found an answer myself and am merely passing what I found on to another user?!

I have opened 2 threads one regarding the USB pad which I stated I had solved and one with another error. They are not linked so I thought deserved a separate thread!

I thought this was a community where help was passed between users trying to help one another, I was obviously mistaken.

Edit by MiniMax: I have deleted the links to the downloads, since my research does not indicate that this game is free

Reply 6 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, nope, that's what i'm trying to do here.

So, your solution is to use XPadder now, right?

And what about

- Are your joypads working correctly with other games/emulators? What about other games in DOSBox?

Reply 7 of 9, by NateDoggUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it's not a solution, it was merely a suggestion. I had found something that had helped me and was trying to pass that on. I really can not see a problem here at all? Do you have a solution to every question you're asked? If you have a problem with me please take it up with the mods or elsewhere, thank you.

Reply 8 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

ADDiCT don't have a problem I think. He is merely interested in determining why your joypad didn't work with DOSBox.

Was it because there is a problem, a bug, in DOSBox?
Was it because you had configured DOSBox wrong?
Was it because your operating system is not handling the joypad correctly?

There could be a 1000's reasons why it doesn't work for you, but you don't seem to be interested in supplying the information needed to determine WHY it doesn't work. And that is fine - if you are happy with the workaround of using XPADDER, then that is your right. ADDiCT would just like to know the WHY because that is the first step towards a permanent solution.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MiniMax understands me. (;