VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to DosBox, but I think it's the best thing invented since.. well, since the games that were designed for Dos back in the day- in fact, probably even better, since they're much easier to run with it now.

Anyways, DosBox has revealed to me exactly what I was missing out on back in the day when I used to play games on my ol'486 with only a SoundBlaster 16 card- Roland MT-32! I had dug up my old Sierra games, and to my astonishment while playing around with the audio settings, I heard music entirely different (and better) than what I was so familiar with!

Now, don't get me wrong, the MT-32 music is fantastic and superior to the SoundBlaster, but I do notice that some of the notes seem a little bit off. And in games like Space Quest 3, I get problems at certain segments where it sounds like the audio buffer doesn't clear (ie. some sound effects get stuck playing until I close DosBox). I did some quick searches on Google on MT-32, which eventually led me to this link:

http://crossfire-designs.de/index.php?lang=en … undcards&page=7

which has an audio clip of how Space Quest 3 is supposed to sound with the Roland LAPC-I sound card, and I was even further blown away! The music from SQ3 on my DosBox sounds similar, but some sound effects are off.

Now, I have done searches on both the DosBox forum as well as the MT-32 Emulation forums, and the amount of information is tremendous. Here is a few threads I went through:

The Essential Sound Cards
Essential Sound Cards

Sound cards - from best to worst
Sound Cards from best to worst

DosBox v0.70 MIDI handling for the rev00 MT-32 Roland synth
DosBox v0.70 MIDI handling for the rev00 MT-32 Roland synth

which sound card setting to use (Roland MT32 or GS or SB16)?
MT-32 vs Adlib/Soundblaster

Question about LAPC-I and windows MIDI playback...
Question about LAPC-I and windows MIDI playback

The headache of DOS soundcards
The headache of DOS soundcards

So to put it simply for a newb such as myself; what options are available when it comes to playing DosBos with MT-32 music? From various readings on the web it seems like these are the choices:

1. Stick with MT-32 emulated music on DosBox which approximates the audio, but will not be exactly the same. I believe this emulation was developed in the Munt project which is still on-going, no?

2. Go to eBay and try to get a real Roland LAPC sound card and synthesizer module to capture the true essence.

I'm a little hesitant to go with the 2nd option, because as you can tell I'm not too familiar with the entire MT-32 tuning and setup field. Are the problems I face with the audio in games like SQ3 due to the MT-32 emulation in DosBox or the actual sound card on my system (I think I have SoundBlaster Live Value)? Finally, in using the emulator ScummVM, I could play an updated version of Monkey Island 1 (transferred from CD to my hard drive) that played high quality music (though I think the audio was somehow converted to MP3's, not MIDI's). I imagine MT-32 emulation is much more complex than just somehow piping the information into the General MIDI player or even in the form of MP3's, correct?

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All I'll say is that my real MT-32 works great with DOSBox without anymore trouble than to select MT-32 in each game's setup.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 7, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And you can use the card fine on a new machine, right? That is- you can also use the card fine when listening to music or media, correct?

Sorry if this question sounds very inane. I know very little about sound cards.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you got it wrong a bit. Yes, MT-32 emulation is not yet perfect and supposedly sounds odd at times. Development seems to be very slow for quite some time now.
BUT to get the real MT-32 music you just need to hook the MT-32 device to your system in some way, either through the midi ports of your sound card or if you don't have midi ports there, use an USB-Midi-device. I got a Roland CM-64 hooked up since it uses more instruments and one of my favourite games (Ultima Underworld) makes use of that. No need to get Roland LAPC, especially since this is an ISA card and modern computer systems normally don't have any ISA slots. The Mt-32 is an external device not a card (since it sounded you didn't know the difference).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the info! You're right- I didn't know the MT-32 was solely an external device. I thought it was a sound card that had an optional external component. Do they still commercially sell these modules or have they pretty much been superceded by modern sound cards?

When I go home, I'll check but I'll bet I have to use the USB-Midi device you mentioned.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you have a SB Live! Value, I *think* you have a joystick port which doubles as midi port. You only need the right cable then.
Roland did not sell these gems commercially for thousands of years now. You can only get them used nowadays, for example on ebay.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper