VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have been trying to mount a cd-rom on DOSBox. I followed the instructions in the "OSX DOSBox Guide", but it doesn't seem to be working like it says in the guide. Here's what it says...

To mount a CD, or any mounted drive, first insert the CD. If you know its name (the DOS 8 character name) you can eliminate much […]
Show full quote

To mount a CD, or any mounted drive, first insert the CD. If you know its name (the DOS 8 character name) you can eliminate much of the following, but let's presume you don't. After inserting the CD it will become a subdirectory in the Mac /Volumes, but it won't be seen on DOS drives previously mounted. So start by mounting a drive as either the root / or /Volumes, then do a dir on /Volumes to get the short name for the CD. Finally you can do a Mount or DOS Subst command to create a drive name for the CD, if you need a separate name. For example:
mount x /volumes
subst y c:/cdname
where cdname is the short name for the CD. You have now created two drives, x: and y:, the latter of which points to the root of the cd.

I was told previously here on this forum to always mount my CD as "D"...so that's what I did (when that didn't work, I used "X" as in the guide---with the same results). I entered the following command:

mount d /volumes

DOSBox then said... "Mount D is mounted as local directory /volumes/"

So far, so good. But then the guide says to "do a dir on /volumes to get the short name for the CD". I did that, but what comes up is the contents of my C-drive (folder) instead of Volumes.

Now, the name of the CD is "Untitled" which is exactly 8 letters, so I figure that there is no "short" name and "Untitled" is it), so I tried entering the other command mentioned in the guide. Here is the command I entered...

"subst y d:/untitled"

DOSBox then said: "Drive Y is mounted as local directory /volumes/untitled/

Which seems again to be so far, so good. But when i do a dir...I get the list of files in my c-drive (folder) yet again.

I just have no idea what to do now. Please help.

Thanx very much. 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well...I must admit, I feel kind of stupid. As soon as I went to try out your advice, I remembered about that c:, d: or whatever thing. I've had my DOSBox setup w/ the quick-start for so long that I had forgotten about having to enter that command after mounting to open the drive.

I was able to view the contents of volumes as well as the CD itself.

Oh well, I'm not very experienced w/ DOS. Thanx for the help IIGS. 😀