VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just wanted to report a few things after upgrading Dosbox for the first time in ages.

First of all the performance is spectacular. Games that used to stutter like hell, like Killing Moon, GP2, WC4 are super smooth now.

On top of that each one of the few problems I had with the older version have been fixed, namely virtual CD swapping, joystick problems and even Loom CD audio. And thanks to cycles=auto I don't even need to adjust settings for different machines anymore.

Now I guess none of that is news to you guys so here are a few minor issues I found that maybe aren't known yet.

-California Games and SWOTL only run in CGA mode.

-When loading multiple images with one Imgmount command, mounted paths are accepted but Windows paths aren't. For example C:\privat~1\cd1.iso works (if mounted correctly) while "E:\emulation\dos\games\privateer 2\cd1.iso" doesn't. Not a big problem but might cause headaches to some people trying to find out what's wrong.

-timed=true causes the joystick to be very jumpy in the centre compared to timed=false.

-cycles=auto can cause inconsistent, varying game speed. Noticed when flying towards a space station in Tie Fighter.

-Lots of audio distortion in some parts of Loom CD (right at the beginning "please choose your skill level")

Anyway great work, thanks to everyone involved!

Reply 2 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Img-mounting 2 ISO's works fine for me:

Z:\>imgmount D "G:\Win95\DANW95B_USB.iso" "G:\Win95\cd2.iso" -t iso

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 13, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wd: try going further than the entry screen in those games. And you could have concluded that I know that fixed cycles works for Tie Fighter or how would I have known the speed issue is caused by cycles=auto?

Reply 9 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try going further than the entry screen in those games.

That's how i tested it.

And you could have concluded that I know that fixed cycles works for Tie Fighter or how would I have known the speed issue is caused by cycles=auto?

What's the problem then?

Reply 10 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It'
s just like the joystick issue, some games do run good with that setting, others run better with another one.
Joystick timed=true and cycles=auto is the best overall setting, just some games run better with another setting. There is just no way around that you have to customize some things for games.
So it is good to know which games need more precise settings, but it's not a bug in Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 13, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, wasn't really complaining. Just a list of findings, maybe bad thread title. Can't harm to know which aspects may be improvable.

wd: can you get past the part where you have to enter your name in CG in VGA mode? Using gulikoza's 0.72 here.

Reply 12 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Using gulikoza's 0.72 here.

Please also try the lock stock 0.72 version for testing and reporting, helps pin down problems which aren't in the normal version.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper