VOGONS

No Sound in DOS Quake...

Topic actions

First post, by The Coop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow. Been a while since I last posted here. So what brings me back?

I've been installing a number of my PC games through DOSBox 0.72, so that I could sit down and play them as others did back in the DOS days (I'm on a nostalgia kick). However, when I got around to playing the 1.08 version of Quake recently, I came across a snag. It seems that Quake simply has no sound effects when I try and run it. The CD music is read off of the disc just fine, but there's no sound initialization when the game starts. I've looked for a setup file, but there isn't one. I've gone hunting on Google, and found only a twelve second video that was supposed to show how to set it up... but it only showed the start up sequence of Quake. I've also done several searches on these forums, and couldn't find anything on this issue.

So I guess my question is, how do I set up the sound for Quake in DOSBox so it works? What have I missed?

Reply 1 of 4, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit dosbox.conf and set GUS=false.

Reply 2 of 4, by sryx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that's interesting. I don't remember QTest having that issue. You should add to the wiki to explane that.

Reply 3 of 4, by The Coop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tannerstevo wrote:

Edit dosbox.conf and set GUS=false.

Huh. I wouldn't have guessed that to have been the issue. Definitely something to keep in mind should a similar issue crop up with a different game.

Thanks for the help, tannerstevo. Worked like a charm 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Definitely something someone should someday add to the game in the Compatibility List.

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=653&letter=Q

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions