VOGONS

First post, by jeroenrikken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my serial port is working, but it's very slow. is there a way to speed up my serial connection?? 🙄

Reply 1 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My car is running slow, what's wrong with it? 😉

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My car is running slow, what's wrong with it?

Are you pushing it, or driving it?

Reply 3 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What the ... I'm not stupid you... you... 😉

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You need to wind the rubber belt really tight for your car to go Whooosh!!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 12, by jeroenrikken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jeah right.
it's okay if it's impossible 😵
but how faster how beter!

Reply 6 of 12, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not impossible per se. It's only impossible to tell unless you give much more info!

Such as... did you read and digest the README? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Which programs are you running in DOSBox? How does the slowness manifest? Which DOSBox version on which operating system are you using? Have you read the comments in your dosbox.conf file and which settings are you using in it?

Some people around here (excluding myself though) are highly gifted technical minds, but that still doesn't make them some kind of astrologers, soothsayers, diviners or prophets who can magically read your thoughts or look with x-ray vision on your computer screen.

tearex

Reply 7 of 12, by jeroenrikken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im running engine management programs,
using dosbox 0.72 and windows vista.
i've read the readme file, but i'm dutch so i don't get all the english in the readme file.
the configuration is the easiest: port1: directserial realportCOM1
the only thing i trie to achieve is to speed up my serial connection. i'm downloading files with my serial port and that takes a long time. it works faster on an old windows 95 pc, but those are crashing slowly.

Reply 8 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try
core=dynamic
cycles=10000
(or other numbers, 3000 is the default)
in dosbox.conf

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 12, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

He's talking about the port speed. The port speed in DOSBox is limited due to UART emulation. I tried to use a program like this to interface with my car's on-board diagnostics computer, but the port speed and real-time priority required for the program to work could not be achieved by DOSBox.

Sorry, you'll have to do something with those old 9x machines to get them stable again.

Reply 10 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

He's talking about the port speed.

Uhm of course the cpu emulation speed matters.
But of course it's possible that a games emulator (dosbox) doesn't run
some rtos-style software connected to some picky hardware.

Reply 11 of 12, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, if it's actually round-trip latency (rather than raw speed) that is the problem, there's very little an emulator can do about that.

In an emulated system, as far as I'm aware there's simply no way to get the kind of instantaneous reaction that you can get by hooking the hardware interrupt or running a tight polling loop on a real machine.

Devices that require an answer on the serial interface within a few bit times of the message to be answered are IMHO brain-dead, but they do exist. Probably you have such a beast. Your only chance is running on the iron in that case, i.e. it's time to build yourself a working DOS machine again.

If the device is not quite so bad, it might help to use a motherboard built-in serial port. Avoid PCI plug-in boards and especially avoid USB-to-serial adapters. The latter introduce a lot of extra latency. Also (just a guess though, didn't try it) it might help to increase DOSBox's priority to the highest level with the task manager.

tearex

Reply 12 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

And the op could try my FIFO serial patch too maybe it helps...

1+1=10