VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,

I don't know if feature requests can be made here. I think a key combination that kills the current running game in dosbox and goes back to the prompt would be very handy.

I hope this can be added in the next release.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the wrong way to test DOS games too....or hell even Windows games.

If your testing your games that way then your doing it wrong.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by Zachariah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use a dosbox frontend (see that sticky topic), and close the games by closing dosbox.

Mounting directories manual in dosbox takes about the same time as making a game profile, but once you got a game profile, you can start the game again in just 2 or 3 mouse clicks.

Reply 8 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheDude wrote:

ermm I just said my feature request would make it possible not to do this for each game because it's annoying if you test much games.
so what's your point??

Even closing games using the quit capability in the game itself you cannot be sure that the game cleaned everything up on quitting which is why alot of times you had to reboot in DOS on a real machine when you wanted to play another game. Now you want to add a function to quit the game that isn't supported by the game itself and then run another game.....and you want to do this for compatibility testing of games.....

See the problem here?

Execute DosBox and launch the game, if you don't want to quit the game normally then hit CTRL+F9 and then launch DosBox again.

Compatibility testing isn't about just loading games and testing away, there is alot more to it than that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by TheDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Now you want to add a function to quit the game that isn't supported by the game itself and then run another game.....and you want to do this for compatibility testing of games.....

See the problem here?

no, there is no problem because the developers of dosbox can make sure that 'kill game' command initializes dosbox the same way as if you first booted it (initialization of all variables, objects, ... in the source code just like they are initialized/created when dosbox first starts).

Reply 11 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe when we have savestates that you restore the starting state.
but until then there is no intention of adding it

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!