VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thesnare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I put this in my autoexec section in my dosbox.conf file

mount c c:\dosbox (the directory where all my games and applications are stored, which includes the subdirectories for each, for example all the files for Dark sun shattered lands are in C:\dosbox\ds1) AND I put in
C:\

Now, when I type cd C:\dosbox or cd C:\dosbox\ds1 I get the message that it's longer than 8 characters long and I can't cd to it, but strangely enough, if I type cd ds1 it will show me C:\ds1 even though it's not displaying the proper directory path, which is C:\dosbox\ds1, also if I type just plain cd dosbox at the C:\> prompt it tells me it's unable to switch.

Also, I gather if you have a program which only includes the file which was originally installed from a CD or dvd, you must mount the directory as the floppy drive and then type the name of the file, usually setup or install

mount C:\dosbox\ds1 -t floppy then typed install from the prompt, I run into other problem, it thinking I have a hard drive with not enough disc space, asking me to insert the second disc, etc

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you mount "C:\Dosbox" as "C:\" then there is no "C:\DosBox" in DosBox.

In DosBox "C:\DosBox" is now your "C:\"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by thesnare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so that's settled, all this time C: was C:\dosbox

Now, I just need something cleared up. I'll try to explain it a little differently.

If you have a file which was originally installed on a floppy or CD-ROM disc, should you mount that directory that the file was in and run it from there, or should you mount a virtual CD-ROM, floppy drive and then run the virtual floppy from that virtual drive. For example, for the install file for ds2(wake of the ravager), which is located in my C:\dosbox\ds2 directory, should I do this:

mount d: C:\dosbox\ds2 -t cdrom (I did some reading and saw -iotcl might be correct instead of -t cdrom)
then type install and install it

or this:

mount D: D:\ -t cdrom (but now, how do I put the virtual cd in the virtual cd drive?)

keep in mind, I'm trying to make dosbox think I have the real physical CD, I can't put it in the drive cause I don't really have it. I'm guessing mounting a CD rom or floppy is for using your real physical CD rom or floppy drive in your computer, maybe not creating a virtual one.

Reply 5 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

mount d: C:\dosbox\ds2 -t cdrom

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions