VOGONS

Common searches

Vista and DOSBox recorded videos

Topic actions

First post, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm pretty much new here but been using DOSBox for a while.

Using Windows Vista 64-bit my issue is that I can't seem to play and watch videos that I've recorded with DOSBox. If either Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic isn't crashing everytime I try to open the video there is only sound but no actual video being played. You probably guess that I haven't installed the movie codecs that came with DOSBox, but I actually have. If I try to open the video in VirtualDub I get an error that say that it can't open this particular file (I'll get the exact quote later). It's almost like the codecs didn't actually get installed correctly because it should be able to play the video after I've installed them, shouldn't it?

On a side note I have two computers, one with Windows Vista and the other one with Windows XP. Having DOSBox on both computers I can record and watch videos without any issues in XP while in Vista I just can't.

I'd appreciate any kind of help, thank you. 😀

Reply 1 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you make sure that you stopped the capture before you quit DOSBox?

If you just quit DOSBox while capturing then the video will not work.

I just tested the latest beta of DOSBox on 2003 64bit and the video plays fine with Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic but does not with VLC. (VLC uses it's own built in codec).

If you want to verify that the codec is installed then make sure that zmbv.dll is in the \Windows\System32 directory and also open ZMBV.INF and verify that those registry entries are in your registry.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I stopped recording before quitting DOSBox. Did a couple of videos but no luck.

If you want to verify that the codec is installed then make sure that zmbv.dll is in the \Windows\System32 directory and also open ZMBV.INF and verify that those registry entries are in your registry.

I'll go and see if that's the case once I get to the Vista computer. Thank you so far for the help.

Reply 3 of 25, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem in Vista. The ZMBV codec works in XP but not in Vista. One of the moderators here posted on this just a few days ago - something on how Vista uses a different media playback framework, something like that.
Here is the thread:
Editing movies captured in DOSBox

If anyone has got ZMBV working in Vista, please post here and tell what codecs you have.

Reply 4 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, just checked and everything seems to be correct.

Ryune wrote:
I have the same problem in Vista. The ZMBV codec works in XP but not in Vista. One of the moderators here posted on this just a […]
Show full quote

I have the same problem in Vista. The ZMBV codec works in XP but not in Vista. One of the moderators here posted on this just a few days ago - something on how Vista uses a different media playback framework, something like that.
Here is the thread:
Editing movies captured in DOSBox

If anyone has got ZMBV working in Vista, please post here and tell what codecs you have.

Damn, seems like a common problem then? 🙁

Reply 8 of 25, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MG55, can you post a list of codecs on your system here for us? Either use the utility mentioned above or look in your system information. My system running Vista Home premium does not play many video clips that play OK in XP, and I'd like to find out why.

Reply 10 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if it has some significance, I may attach the InstalledCodec report I get.

As I said, for me now with Vista it's not a a matter of not playing the zmbv files once created, it's the very Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+Alt+F5 commands who are broken and so my capture folder is empty yet (Ctrl+F6 works instead).

EDIT
of course I made sure that zmbv.dll is in \Windows\System32 and that I stop the capture before quitting DOSBox etc.

-----------------------------

Ryune and DosFreak:

even in WinXP I couldn't play zmbv using VLC, as of v0.8.6 (ought to catch up with coming v0.9 afaik, still in development)

I therefore would normally create the captures via Ctrl+Alt+F5 and then had found a way to open them using e.g. BSPlayer (it was v1.38 iirc, which is/was still freeware).

Attachments

• Filename
    InstallCodec.xls
    File size
    95.5 KiB
    Downloads
    453 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Be sure the CAPTURE directory specified in dosbox.conf is accessible/writeable for your user account.

It is, for the *.wav's captured with Ctrl+F6 do show up in there.

Also,
in dosbox status window the message "capturing wave output etc." will appear too,
while no such message will relating to Ctrl+[Alt+]F5 commands.

Reply 14 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried remapping quite a few times, but still no luck whatsoever.

The Ctrl+F6 I was able to change anyway, just in case.
It's really the combinations with F5 and screen capture who seem just off duty 😕

Reply 15 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got it sorted out 😀

since what I've been using is 0.72 enhanced with glide & direct3d patches,
I thought it was worth trying with a brand new install of 0.72 "original"
which I did
and there go the screen and video capture features again !

They're both working fine.

Btw the fresh avi I can open with your staple WinMedia Player 11.
(This is to answer Utgardaloke and Ryune about codecs & replay
see also my InstallCodec.xls from yesterday's post
remember you have to install zmbv.inf as an Admin)

Reply 16 of 25, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed.

It looks like all I needed to do was uninstall my old codecs and add the latest Vista codec pack (4.6.2). I was always able to record the avi files, just that WMP 11 could not play them. It couldn't play A LOT of video files until this latest codec pack. But even GOMPlayer, which is much more reliable, was having trouble with various files until now.

I have never seen such a broken product as VISTA. Even WinME didn't give me so much trouble. I would like to see Microsoft broken up into several smaller companies so we could have some competition.

Reply 17 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a question.

As it says "Uninstall ALL codec related installations before installing this comprehensive package." in the Vista Codec Package, where do I exactly find and uninstall these codec related installations? As far as I know I haven't installed any other codec related stuff before.

Reply 18 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Utgardaloke wrote:

where do I exactly find and uninstall these codec related installations? As far as I know I haven't installed any other codec related stuff before.

I can't really help you (probably Ryune could) because I actually never uninstalled/installed any special codec pack, I just rely on native Vista 32 bit codecs plus zmbv addon and as I wrote WMP 11 works all the same.
(Personally I'll confess I'm even a little shy of those general purpose codec packs and stuff)

If you never installed anything like that and in fact the control panel and dependencies don't show any such software to uninstall either,
then I guess you can skip that warning and proceed with your pack install if you want 😉
not 100% sure though, I'm sorry.

Reply 19 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just be aware that codec packs have been the source of many problems ever since they surfaced. Nowadays I just grab VLC and if that can't play the thing, only then will I insall the one codec that is missing to play a certain file...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper