Common searches

Vista and DOSBox recorded videos

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, ok. Thanks for your replies.

I can pretty much play any video there is on my Vista comp except of course for the captured videos being the only one that will not. I guess I'll have to rely on my XP comp for recording, too bad it's only single core and quite inferior. 😒

Reply 21 of 25, by mg55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Utgardaloke wrote:

Hmm, ok. Thanks for your replies.

I can pretty much play any video there is on my Vista comp except of course for the captured videos being the only one that will not. I guess I'll have to rely on my XP comp for recording, too bad it's only single core and quite inferior. 😒

Question: Can XP play files recorded on the Vista machine? (Just to rule out the possibility that something is wrong with the capture files.)

I have a newly installed Vista machine which plays back recorded videos from Dosbox just fine. There are a lot of things that can screw up Windows' video playback. If you can't easily track it down and fix it, then it's probably worth reinstalling Windows as there could be other problems lurking in the background. I used to troubleshoot these kinds of things for days until my curiosity was satisfied. Now I just reinstall anytime something in Windows is broken. You save a lot of time by streamlining your data backup / re-install process versus trying to fix issues like these.

Reply 22 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mg55 wrote:

Question: Can XP play files recorded on the Vista machine? (Just to rule out the possibility that something is wrong with the capture files.)

Hmm, I have to try that.

As for reinstalling Windows, I'm not too sure on that unfortunately. My two brothers frequently use it and a lot of their stuff, including mine, would be a pain to backup and not to mention all the gazillion amount of programs to install. It isn't completely ruled out though so I'll have it in mind.

Reply 23 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Utgardaloke wrote:

I can pretty much play any video there is on my Vista comp except of course for the captured videos being the only one that will not

but before taking to reinstalling windows 😅 ,
if zmbv is installed and yet WMP and Media Player Classic fail,

you might as well want to try the free VLC Media Player :
not stable v0.8.6, but 0.9.0-development

see about ZMBV support in VLC Forums :
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t … it=zmvb#p116702
where it's said
"use 0.9.0-development to have ZMBV support "
"I gave v0.9.0 a whirl and ZMVB support has arrived indeed"

(didn't try it personally though since I don't need to 😜 )

Reply 24 of 25, by Utgardaloke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I just watched the videos I recorded in Vista on XP now and indeed they worked. I did also notice how incredible unsynced the video were with the sound and very laggy and stuttery video output (play for a half a second, stop, lag all over the place, repeat - completely unwatchable). Compare that to the videos I recorded on my XP computer, except for a small noticeable stutter sometimes in the video, which looked like it should.

Sigh. Well time to move on - I thank you guys for the help and such though, appreciate it.