VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by paulp575

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just installed DOSBox and ran into a problem.

I followed the instructions on how to open the program manually by typing in the following commands:

MOUNT C "D:\SDX802"
C:
SOUNDEX.EXE

The program runs just fine.

Since I want to create a shortcut to run this program, I followed the instructions on the DOSBox Wiki page titled "DOSBox Shortcuts" by doing the following:

In the SDX802 folder I created a blank file SOUNDEX.XYZ
(I set .XYZ files to open using DOSBox).

When I click on the file, everything works except the last command gives an "Illegal Command: SOUNDEX.XYZ." (see attached screenshot).

So where did I go wrong????

Thanks,

Attachments

• Soundex.jpg
    Filename
    Soundex.jpg
    File size
    52.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

paulp575

Reply 2 of 7, by paulp575

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

you can only run executables that end on .EXE .BAT or .COM

So I guess you are either saying the instructions on the Wiki are incorrect or I have misread and don't understand them???

They're on this page: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts#Windows

I thought the instructions were a bit strange, but when they said to use some file extension (I choose xyz because that is not being used) and then ensure it is registered to run DOSBox, that made sense.

paulp575

Reply 4 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides, the XYZ extension (if it would be registered in Windows) could only be executed by Windows, not inside DOSBox. How should DOSBox know about registered filetypes in Windows?

wd: i think there are more elegant ways indeed (;

Reply 6 of 7, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I get it, it's a trick to mount the directory the *.xyz file is in; something like the "open command prompt here" powertoy for windows. But since .xyz is not a valid executable (not that it matters since it's blank) you get the error message but it's safe to ignore.

Not the way I'd do it, but it works.

Reply 7 of 7, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One way of doing it is to copy dosbox.conf into your program folder, edit it with parametars needed to run your program, adding necessary mount, run, etc. commands into Autoexec section. Then rename it to SOUNDEX.XYZ and associate it with DOSBox, then edit that file type "open" command from ["dosboxpath\dosbox.exe" "%1"] to ["dosboxpath\dosbox.exe" -conf "%1"].
Then when you double click on SOUNDEX.XYZ it will start DOSBox with that file as config file which will start your program.