VOGONS

Common searches

GUS is not detected

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GUS midi is not the same thing with General Midi 😜. The Gravis Ultrasound had it`s own midi module. Too bad that not many people know this.

Reply 21 of 32, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

GUS midi is not the same thing with General Midi

Where's the difference? Both receive the same midi commands, not?
The only difference is the samples, but those are not emulated by
dosbox for either of the two anyways.

Reply 22 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I will set the midi to General midi it will play by the host`s "samples" anyway. It might be true that they receive the same commands.

Reply 24 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But try to understand: I don`t have a GUS soundcard in my PC, so it will use Windows`s default midi interface, and which is not really that good. So if I set the program to use General Midi it will use Windows's default midi interface.

Reply 25 of 32, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Windows GM interface is good if you have a good MIDI soundcard. I have an Audigy II in this system and I run a nice SoundFont bank, so MIDI is great. I actually converted the old 8MB WaveSet from my Soundscape soundcard to a SOundFont bank, so games in DOSBox sound identical to the way they did back on my P2!

However, if you're running a built-in AC97 or something, I feel your pain. I don't have experience with a real GUS, but it sounds to me as though they were doing what Ensoniq made huge: Using waves in a compressed file to play in place of synthesized notes for better MIDI quality.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 26 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I have a VIA AC'97 built-in soundcard and I am happy that somebody understands me. I also have a CMI 5.1 soundcard but I detatched it because I don`t use only one channel(because I like to use headphones). Still that soundcard is not different from this integrated one just that it has 6 channels and has a better sound, but still the midi interface is dreadful. I don`t know how to set up Timidity nor if there is a soundfont that is able to reproduce GUS`s midi instruments. And my problem is not yet solved 🙁 . If you would like to experiment how the GUS midi interface sounds, I could help you over MSN Messenger or through PM.

Reply 28 of 32, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TiMidity++ windows synthesizer(TWSYNTH)

As for GUS in DOSBox I don't see how it would be possible to hear GUS Midi from games in DOSBox without installing GUS patches first?

Reply 30 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for double posting, but isn`t there anybody who knows what could I do? If then can somebody from here tell me how to use Timidity++ with those GUS patches? (as I saw somewhere that Timidity++ supports GUS`s patches)

Reply 31 of 32, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I grew up using the SB series cards, and Ensoniq when they were smoking Creative. Then Creative bought them, 🤣! I can only think of one thing. Try setting the SB type to "none". If not, it may be a problem due to emulating two soundcards. Some games worked with two, others did not.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 32 of 32, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That does not fix the problem either, unfortunately 😢 . I know that I used the General Midi and SB before with this game, and it worked; and on second hand the sounds seem to work, just the midi is the problem. Still looking for an answer for either Timidity++ or this game.