VOGONS

First post, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I want to say a few things in a video of a DOS game. The problem is DOS box won't record the device to which the physical microphone is attached. I read that full duplex operation might be the solution, which is unequivocally nowhere to be found on my integrated chip.

Right now the best I can do is record a window of DOS with a different program. All I want to do is record ALL sound output, emulated and throughput.

How can I do this?

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

how is this related to dosbox ?
aside from the fact that video of the game is made with dosbox ?

try a video editor or so

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know how you would do that. Besides it seems like the wrong way to do it. I would record the DOSBox, and then record my comments separately. Once I had both the game and the comments recorded, I would use some audio/video tool to merge the 2 audio streams.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote:

All I want to do is record ALL sound output, emulated and throughput. How can I do this?

If I understand you correctly, you have a microphone attached to your PC, and on that PC also runs DOSBox. Why do you assume DOSBox does even get the input from your microphone? I'd be surprised if that were at all possible.

JAL

Reply 4 of 8, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

how is this related to dosbox ?

I think the OP meant he simply expects DOSBox's video capture to record all enabled sounds (in Windows' volume control) or at least the microphone and not just the game's sound.

try a video editor or so

I bumped this topic because I wanted to point out that YouTube is full of "Let's Play X" guides for DOS(Box) games. And guess what? Not even one of them uses DOSBox' own recorder. Do you know why? Because as much as you may believe they should record the microphone after finishing playing, the bottom line is they rather use another recorder and record their voice in real time.

I think it's a shame none of them wants to use DOSBox' recorder. Can you consider adding microphone support to DOSBox' video recorder?

Reply 5 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lwc wrote:

Do you know why? Because as much as you may believe they should record the microphone after finishing playing, the bottom line is they rather use another recorder and record their voice in real time.

You are a) claiming to know the reason for the actions of all other people, which obviously you don't, and b) putting words in our mouths that we didn't say. All in all pretty lousy arguing, I'd say.

I think it's a shame none of them wants to use DOSBox' recorder. Can you consider adding microphone support to DOSBox' video recorder?

DOSbox is meant for playing games, not recording them. If you really need microphone input, you could easily use another recorder and mix that into the output of DOSbox.

JAL

Reply 6 of 8, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jal wrote:

You are a) claiming to know the reason for the actions of all other people, which obviously you don't

For your information, I've only written this after running a little survey in YouTube by PMing relevant users and asking them why they don't use DOSBox' own recorder. They all had just one reason, which was the lack of microphone support.

, and b) putting words in our mouths that we didn't say

So no one here said they should just use another recorder?

jal wrote:

If you really need microphone input, you could easily use another recorder

Anyway, I don't know why you turn this into a fight. All I'm saying is that DOSBox does have a recorder, but the lack of microphone support makes it irrelevant in YouTube.

Reply 7 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lwc wrote:

Anyway, I don't know why you turn this into a fight. All I'm saying is that DOSBox does have a recorder, but the lack of microphone support makes it irrelevant in YouTube.

It would be interesting to see if YouTube posters were the dominant group of DOSbox recorders. If so, microphone support should either be added, or the whole recording stuff be removed altogether, depending on the vision of the authors.

JAL

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's next? You'll want DOSBox include a conversion program to automatically convert a DOSBox video into a video ready for Youtube submittal?

DOSBox isn't a video creation package. It's an emulator with the ability to create videos. If you want to dub audio then do so with another program or code support for the feature into DOSBox yourself.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline