VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SuperPie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

First off, I 'm new to DOSbox but abslutely LOVE it! I'm so thankful for it, so please don't take my questions or comments as critical. OK, here's the thing...

My PC: XP Pro, P4 3Ghz, Geforce Ti-4200 128MB, 1GB RAM, Gigabyte mobo.

Every other emulator I use (MAME, Finalburn Alpha, Nestopia, Magic Engine etc.) has no screen tearing. Most have built-in vsync and triple buffering and they work great. Very smooth, no performance hit.

But on DOSbox, when I enable double buffering in fullscreen, performace is very bad. Even with the most basic settings (no scaler, no aspect etc.). None of my video driver (Forceware 93.71) settings help.

EXAMPLE: running a really simple game like Monster Bash (old 2D sidescroller) I get terrible screen tearing. Enabling double buffers in fullscreen fixes the tearing, but it makes the game and the sound skippy. So either I have bad screen tearing, or I have skippy sound and movement.

MY QUESTION: Why do all those other emulators run smoothly when buffered, and DOSbox stutters? And is there any possible way to fic it?

Lastly - does anyone have a computer that runs DOSbox smoothly without screen tearing? If so, what are its specs?

THANK YOU for reading and any insight you might offer.

Reply 2 of 3, by SuperPie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for that suggestion! It led me to an effective fix.

Basically at 60Hz things were choppy with double buffers. Weird because 60Hz is the basic standard refresh rate for almost everything, so you'd thnk it would be the best option.

So I tried a few different refresh rates and finally at 90Hz I had what I wanted. Kicked the cycles up a bit, and things were scrolling smoothly without hiccups or sound stutters.

So THANK YOU!

But I had to tweak some custom modes in my Nvidia driver to do it, and with MAME and other emus 60Hz works as you;d expect with triple buffers. I'm hoping someday 60Hz will be like that with DOSBox too. Maybe they can steal some ideas from MAME's display code? 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm hoping someday 60Hz will be like that with DOSBox too.

SDL doesn't support it, but their (maybe in a few years finished) next
version is said to have support for frequency selection.