VOGONS

First post, by plinkoplus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Two funny questions.

First, would anybody know how in dosbox can I change the color of the dos-prompt background and foreground colors, or would it be a frontend thing?

And, in the dos game Pacmania made in 1990 by sophisticated software systems, you can find it here at http://www.XXXXXXXXXXX

this question though is aimed at those who have windows xp, when you play Pacmania on the windows core simulation of dos, not dosbox, it has the same music and everything, but it has different sounds when you actually play the game. It sounds like garbled up siren, beeps & other sfx, rather than the real sirens and the other authentic sounds when played on dosbox.

My question is, is there an option from which I can play pacmania with the win xp core dos, as opposed to on the dosbox, or is this also a frontend issue?

The reason I asked this question is because, funnily enough, I like the win xp core dos noise better.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Link removed by MiniMax

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nothing personal - we just don't like linking to unlicensed software.

To run it directly under WinXP you might want to look at VDMSound.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by plinkoplus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Sorry about posting the game link, I completely forgot you know.

Also forgot to mention that I have windows vista and had read that vdmsound won't run. Could I be wrong as if there is some way to run it anyway, if not what else can I do about the sound, particularly with dosbox?

Again any info is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Chris

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For the screen colors, DOSBox has an internal ANSI driver which can change the colors through escape sequences. It's a bit technical, but not rocket science: http://ascii-table.com/ansi-escape-sequences.php

Pacmania uses the PC speaker, which I don't think VDMSound does anything with. Under the NTVDM, your motherboard speaker will be used, and modern computers tend to have cheap piezoelectric speakers that aren't intended for much more than POST beeps; they're not as good as the paper cone speakers used on old skool DOS PCs. Anyway, you can improve the sound quality of the emulated PC speaker in DOSBox by increasing the sample rate up from the default. In the [speaker] section of dosbox.conf, set pcrate=44100, and in the [mixer] section, set rate=44100. Give it a try.