VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d347hm4n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm using DOSBox to run Legacy 16-bit code from 91 in Softgrid (App-V). It works very well and the program runs. But when I follow the menu choice in the program to exit, I am left with the DOSBox window open. If I click on the X everything closes correctly.

I am running DOSBox with a batchfile. I cd to DOSBox's directory and call the DOSBox.exe with the full path to the executable that I want to run.

Essentially I am asking is there a switch for me to close down DOSBox, or is there a way I can detect the program that is running inside of DOSBox in the taskmanager or can DOSBox tell me what is running inside of it.

I hope that I have made myself clear.

Reply 2 of 18, by d347hm4n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks, but for others, you just need to pass in the -exit flag after the full path for the program.

Thanks, took me like 30 minutes to find that, could have saved me some time but nvm....

Reply 3 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wrote the documentation in the hope that I didn't need to answer questions about things described there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 18, by gpicht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm a newbie here and have only first experiences with DOSBox and Vista - my favoured OS is still W2K.

The -exit parameter (or the exit in a started batchfile) is working fine in general. But I have one application, where I couldn't get it running right now. It is an very old DOS program system fur surveying calculations, which I have still in the production process.

The program system is started by execution of a batchfile and the calculations are choosen menuebased. Depending on the userinput some action starts, no chance to analyse the workflow between DOS-programs and automatically created batchfiles for those menues. Ending this program leaves me with a open DOSBox - even with -exit-parameter.

At this time this post is only a report of this effect, so please don't answer: 'read your manual'.

I still do so 😊 and try to analyse and find a solution.

Reply 7 of 18, by gpicht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The desktop icon starts with:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dcs.conf" -exit

and the dcs.conf executes:

keyb gr
mount c c:\*****
c:
gusdcs
exit

where gusdcs is the batch-file

c:
cd \geodcs
gn

and gn is the next batch file, this starts menue and (sub)progs

You see, in this actual version I have '-exit' in startstring, 'exit' in DOSBox config-file and in my first batchfile. And the window remains open.

Edit: Sorry, in the first batchfile is actually no 'exit'.

Reply 8 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think you need to use "call" on "gusdcs".

Unsure if "call" is supported in DOSBox. Only one way to find out....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
gpicht wrote:

The desktop icon starts with:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dcs.conf" -exit

Remove the -exit option. It only works when you launch DOSBox with a file.

gpicht wrote:
and the dcs.conf executes: […]
Show full quote

and the dcs.conf executes:

keyb gr
c:
gusdcs
exit

Add a call before gusdcs:

keyb gr mount c c:\***** c: call gusdcs […]
Show full quote

keyb gr
c:
call gusdcs

Or you can remove the exit command and the call to gusdcs from dcs.conf and launch DOSBox like this:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dcs.conf" "C:\*****\gusdcs.bat" -exit

Then your dcs.conf should only contain:

keyb GR
mount C "C:\*****"
C:

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you're going to go with putting an "exit" in the top level batch file, you need to put "call" in front of all batch file "subroutines", so in gusdcs you need to change it to "call gn", and so forth, or it won't "return" back up the chain.

Reply 12 of 18, by gpicht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem is solved. As you said, a simple 'call gusdcs' followed by 'exit' in the conf-file closes the Box at the end. No need for -exit in the runstring and no need for modifiing the deeper (in my case unaccesible) batch-files.

Thanks again 😀

Reply 14 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

because you would have to call it if it were a batch file.

No.

Reply 16 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Did you try it?

bat1.bat

echo bat1
call bat2

bat2.bat

echo bat2
bat3

bat3.bat

echo bat3

db.conf

[autoexec]
mount C "."
C:
call bat1
exit

Reply 17 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You're right, it does work that way in the specific case where the last command in a batch file transfers processing to another batch file. However, if you ever want to continue processing additional commands in any given batch file after running a sub-batch, you must add the CALL.

Reply 18 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Absolutely 😀