VOGONS

Timidity++ and DosBox?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as your roland problem I am still trying to bend my head around as to what you are actually doing. Are you using a a real Roland Mt-32 and telling dosbox to use?

I have included a screen shot of the available option in my sierra installer. the one that is currently selected ("General MIDI...") is the one I typically use.

in that case, even when using TiMidity, everything loads almost instantly.

if i chose the 1st one (Roldand-MT32), the game takes about 15 minutes to load. I had actually thought that DosBox was not responding when i first tried this, and i thought I closed out the program and opened another dosbox session choosing "General MIDI" audio this time..

while playing my second dosbox session, i suddenly heard the into music from the Roland MT-32" audio session of dosbox!

other (newer) sierra games don't take quite THAT long to boot using "Roldand MT-32" audio, but they definately take more than a minute or two.

I'm just wondering why it takes so long for everything to load when i chose "Roldand MT-32" but not long at all (a few seconds) when I chose "General Midi"

In terms of TiMidity, do you recomed I use only 1 SF2 file at a time? i usually use 3 or 4, (2 of them are over 100 MB, 1 is 65 MB, and one is 20 MB) -- i wonder if my games would sound different if I changed the order the soundfonts? -- or maybe removed some of them?

Reply 21 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Increase your cycle count? 3000 is very low.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 22 of 26, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Increase your cycle count? 3000 is very low.

I increased cycles to 12000 -- it doesn't seem to be helping.

in any case all the games i am interested in playing are super old -- (most designed to even run on a 286 processor), and I have a QX6700 processor in this PC right now.

I don't think CPU cycles are the problem. what would be extremely helpful to me is to know if others are having similar results when choosing "Roland MT-32" audio while running TiMidity++ as their MIDI output.

Reply 23 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um. TiMidity++ does not do linear additive synthesis and is not an MT-32 emulator. You will not get the correct sound from TiMidity++.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 24 of 26, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TiMidity++ does not do linear additive synthesis and is not an MT-32 emulator.

maybe that's why the game takes so long to load.. i prefer the General MIDI audio source in most cases anyway.

now i have to go find out what "linear addative synthesis" means 😉

Reply 25 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Galve2000 wrote:

if i chose the 1st one (Roldand-MT32), the game takes about 15 minutes to load. I had actually thought that DosBox was not responding when i first tried this, and i thought I closed out the program and opened another dosbox session choosing "General MIDI" audio this time..

while playing my second dosbox session, i suddenly heard the into music from the Roland MT-32" audio session of dosbox!

other (newer) sierra games don't take quite THAT long to boot using "Roldand MT-32" audio, but they definately take more than a minute or two.

Doesn't mean to necro an old thread, but still....

I also have problem with TWSYNTH (Timidity++ Windows MIDI driver), DOSBOX, and games that use MT-32/LAPC. Whenever I run a game that use Roland from DOSBOX, with TWSYNTH as Windows MIDI driver, the game doesn't respond at all. I thought the game (or DOSBOX) crashes, but after reading your post, it seems I experience similar problem - although I don't bother to wait for about 15 minutes. I think the wait time will be longer in my case, because I'm mostly using an Intel Atom netbook for my primary DOSBOX platform.

I also have Roland Virtual Sound Canvas, and when I'm using Roland VSC as Windows MIDI drivers, games that use MT-32/LAPC run without problem. Of course, the instrument doesn't sound as accurate as when using Munt. But the point line is: the problem only exists when using TWSYNTH as MIDI driver.

Recently, I tried BASSMIDIDRV as Windows MIDI driver, and games that use MT-32/LAPC can run - unlike TWSYNTH. Of course, the instruments don't sound right, but that's another thing. Well, maybe they will sound right with MT-32 SoundFont.

It seems TWSYNTH is the only SoundFont-based Windows MIDI driver that has problems with games that use Roland MT-32/LAPC, or am I wrong?

Reply 26 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At this point, I would highly recommend using BASSMIDIDRV for GM games and ykhwong's DOSBox SVN build for built-in Munt MT-32 emulation. This is what I currently have on my laptop (versus real SC-88 and MT-32 synths on my desktop) and it works fairly well.