VOGONS

First post, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the following is from a DosBox config file:

midi] # mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate. # Possible values: intelligent, uart, none # device: Device that will receiv […]
Show full quote

midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none
# device: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, mt32, none
# config: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

some of these options are from unofficial CVS releases, but i am still having trouble understanding what the different values mean.

for example:

intelegent vs uart

win32 vs alsa vs coremidi etc etc

none of the Wikis i've looked at explain the different values -- i guess they just assume that people would use win32 with windows and be done with it.

thanks in advance for taking the time to clarify.

cmm3

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Any midi problem with some game?

Reply 2 of 4, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Any midi problem with some game?

just want to make sure i am using the optimal settings for my hardware... its kind of hard to know what to chose if you don't know what all the values mean.

Reply 4 of 4, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UART vs Intelligent:
Back in the day there were both types of MPU-401 modes. "Intelligent" was more complex than UART. Some games worked with UART interfaces but some required Intelligent. Leave it at intelligent - I haven't come across a game that doesn't work with it.

device:
This is basically operating system dependent. If you're on windows, you have to use win32. On OS-X you use coremidi, and on Linux either OSS or ALSA (they're both sound systems designed for Unix). Default does this automatically.