VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sonic-NKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
im running the latest Dosbox version (actually the Boxer Frontend) on my intel mac (core2duo 2Ghz, GMA950). Everything is working Great except i have some bad screen tearing in some games.
In Rayman it is the worst, the game is running so well, but the tearing is really annoying.
So i looked online for a solution and found 2 things i tried.
1. set fulldouble=true (this didnt change anything)
2. vsyncmode=on or force together with vsyncrate=60 (tried other values too)
(my tft monitor is running at 60Hz, but this didnt change anything either)

Are there more things i can try?

PS: thanks for the great program!

Reply 1 of 4, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The "fulldouble" setting should only take effect in fullscreen mode, which you can switch to by pressing Cmd-F. Does this make any difference, or have you already tried this?

Failing that, you could try changing output=opengl to output=overlay or output=surface, however these will make the scaling coarser and possibly reduce performance.

Could you also mention which games besides Rayman exhibit screen tearing? I can test on my macbook (core2duo, GMA3100) to see if they behave the same.

(As far as I know, the vsyncmode and vsyncrate settings only exist in DOSBox CVS builds, not in the older DOSBox 0.72 release build which Boxer uses.)

Reply 2 of 4, by Sonic-NKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so tried fullscreen but its the same, tried changing the output mode, but this doesnt seem to change anything. seems like the same, and performance doesnt change too.
Hmm i recognize the tearing in almost every sidescrolling game.. i have Commander Keen, Monster Bash and Jack Jazzrabbit 1, beside rayman on my mac.