VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In October some MIDI fixes were added, and reading here they were added to the CVS a few weeks later.

When the the .72 actual release version that came out they did not seem to be included. I just assumed an Oct CVS would lead to the feature being added to that next release - .72 - but I guess it doesn't work that way. Can anyone fill me in a little how that works?

To get these Oct MIDI updates, does that mean I should use todays CVS version?

Reply 1 of 8, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there dbarton!

The CVS releases are the current accumulation of code updates to the previously released DOSBox v0.72 base code (from a few years ago). So grab a current CVS version and you will have something close to the next DOSBox official release (some number larger than v0.72), albeit unsupported. This will include the MIDI fixes that you need.

How is the MIDI input for DOSBox working out for you? I still have to setup and test two concurrent instances of DOSBox (CVS), one instance for a DOS game supporting MIDI, the other instance running the DOSBox Gravis Ultrasound soundcard emulation with the UltraMID MIDI app getting the MIDI output of DOSBox instance #1 being fed to the MIDI input of DOSBox instance #2 running UltraMID.

If the new DOSBox MIDI input works for your real-time needs, then it should work for what I outlined...

Best of luck,

dvwjr

Reply 2 of 8, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time no talk! Nice to see you back.

>The CVS releases are the current accumulation of code updates to the >previously released DOSBox v0.72 base code (from a few years ago).

My thought was that the .72cvs version was a release candidate for .72. Basically .71 with additions/fixes. Then when it's finalized, .72 would come out with all these things added. In this case .72 finally came out in 2009, but it doesn't have these fixes that were in the October 08 CVS.

Clearly not, so I guess I'm still confused about the numbering system.

Anyway I'm using a CVS version from Oct 08ish, and it works great. Clock OUT is good - sends sync perfectly. Note positions and timing all good. I don't use the MIDI *input* much, but it does seem to work.

The actual .72 release does not seem to have these fixes incorporated, so it failed all these tests.

So I guess it makes sense that the current CVS version would have these fixes, and I should try that...

Reply 3 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My thought was that the .72cvs version was a release candidate for .72.

Depends on where you get that cvs build from (compile it yourself and don't
use precompiled ones) and who for hell told you they were release candidates.

Reply 6 of 8, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I don't mean release candidates. I mean works in progress for the next release. So .72cvs are works in progress, building on released .72, towards a .73 release someday.

I hope I got that right this time.

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you are right. (0.72"cvs" becomes eventually 0.73)
but we never released 0.72cvs or so. We only release the official stuff

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!