VOGONS

First post, by nealcall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play daggerfall, so I took the link to DOSBOX.com and downloaded version 0.73.

But when I try to open the file to run it, it says: "the publisher could not be verified..."

So i say, fine, I'll give it a shot anyway. So I still click "run" and I get a NSIS error that says:

"The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete...it may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)."

Thing is, I downloaded both .72 and .73, and they both gave me this error.

I'm obviously a newb, but I'm pretty good at following directions - dosbox can't be that hard, right? But I've searched around and I can't find anyplace that addresses this problem. Please help. Rumor on the street is that i must play daggerfall to be a fulfilled human being.

Don't know if it matters...I'm on a netbook running XP

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Download again with a different web browser or a download manager.

Reply 2 of 4, by nealcall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Download again with a different web browser or a download manager.

Wow, you're quick. But I'm still stuck.

I first used ie, and came up with the "unknown publisher" deal. Per your suggestion, I tried firefox, but exact same problem. I also tried to download Dfend from sourceforge the same way, with the same problem.

So...download manager. I've never used one (knowingly, I guess). I did a quick search and it looks like I could download a download manager. First one that came up was "free Download manager". i guess I'll try to work that out and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the response!

Reply 3 of 4, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try picking a different mirror on Sourceforge.

Reply 4 of 4, by nealcall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:

Try picking a different mirror on Sourceforge.

Looks like I've got it working now - though firefox downloads still indicated "unknown publisher", I didn't get the second more problematic error message about a virus/corruption thing. I've installed daggerfall and while it's running real slow, I think the issues I raised in this post are solved.

Thanks!