VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by skttrbrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

Does anyone know how to make a decent image of a PC floppy disk...?

I have various games on floppy... Blue Max, Pacific Strike etc, that I feel are much to old to be used normally anymore and fear the disks are on their last legs... I think these games were only ever released on diskette as well so feel I need to not use them often.

I would like some sort of image format that can be used with Dosbox... which leads me on to the the question of weather you can swap disk images in Dosbox during an installation?

I guess I could just install from the disks and then back up the install directory but I kind of like having a backup of each individual disk... feels more real...

Reply 2 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In most cases a folder with the files from the floppy mounted as the A: drive will do. If it asks for the floppies, all that usually need to be done is to use the -t floppy and maybe the -label switches. That is why all that I usually do to archive my old floppy games is to copy the contents of each floppy to its own folder. If the disk has a label I use that for the folder name, if not disk1, disk2, etc. I then burn them to DVD and keep copy on a hard drive that I use for storing data.

That said, there are a few games that expect the original disks. In some cases they use a form of copy protection that cannot be added to an image, such as some of the original Sierra AGI games where they faked a bad sector on the disk

Reply 3 of 8, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use Disk Copy Fast, WinImage, or Teledisk to try and make backups of the disks to image files... winimage can handle most floppy image formats including .dcf.

You need some real dos to use these apps though. (except winimage which is a windows program)

Reply 6 of 8, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few games on 3.5" where the installer can distinguish between an original disk or not. It's rather rare, many games from back then recommended making a copy of the disk.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skttrbrain wrote:

which leads me on to the the question of weather you can swap disk images in Dosbox during an installation?

Not as of 0.73, oddly enough - that only works for CD ISO images.

Instead, you can use a combination of DOSBox and Virtual Floppy Drive, a Windows program.