VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this is a stupid qiestion or one that's been answered elsewhere, I apologise in advance. I searched for "keyboard and latency" but got no matches, hence this post, though I guess others may call this something else.

When I compare the experience of playing games on original hardware [ie. under Windows 95 or DOS on a K6 machine] with playing them in Dosbox [under XP, on an AM2 5400+], there is a slight but noticeable delay between keypresses and any associated sounds the game might produce as a direct result of that keypress.

For example, on Vinyl Goddess of Mars, there is a click as you go down from one item to the next on the main menu. In Dosbox there is a delay before the click. There are similar lags on Warcraft 1.

Is this slight lag inevitable or is there some setting I can change to amend it? Or will upgrading my dosbox system reduce it?

Reply 2 of 4, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many thanks, that set me off in the right direction by the look of it. I found that a smaller blocksize and larger prebuffer worked well for Warcraft 1, but nothing much solved the issues for Vinyl - I can reduce the latency but I can't get rid of the occasional delays or crackles in the intro music [well, I can make it worse but not eliminate it].

Warcraft 1 now plays OK in Dosbox on my XP machine [Athlon 5400, 6800GT], but plays a lot better in Dosbox in 98 on my XP2000 with a Voodoo5. Maybe it's the lack of a soundcard in the 5400 system. Without using Dosbox I get graphical glitches in 98 on the XP2000/Voodoo5, but its also a lot better than the 5400.

With Vinyl, I can't get it to run smoothly on the 5400-XP system. Will have to dig out a sound card and see if that fixes it .

[In retrospect maybe I posted in the wrong forum, apologies, shift or delete as appropriate.]

Reply 4 of 4, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have output=surface.

However, the problem seems to have cleared. All I can think is that it is the motherboard sound drivers - I disabled on board sound to try a santa cruz that by the look of it is defective. On re-enabling the onboard sound, I didn't bother installing the drivers from disk, I just let XP pick things up. Now Vinyl seems to run fine in dosbox.

The only other change I made was to create space on the system drive as I was down to 80mb. So it's one of these things .

Anyhow, problem solved it seems.
😀