VOGONS

Game Too Fast

Topic actions

First post, by Unique616

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw this topic, but I'm having the opposite problem. The game I'm trying to play (StarGunner) is running way too fast. How can I slow the graphics down to normal speed?

Reply 1 of 14, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CTRL-F11 Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).

Also, don't use cycles=auto or cycles=max, but cycles=10000 for example instead.

Reply 3 of 14, by Caustic63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the exact same problem... Stargunner is running way too fast to the point where it's impossible to play (you die 4 times and lose in 3 seconds). What is the solution to slowing the game down?

I tried cntrl f11 but that didn't effect the game at all.

Reply 4 of 14, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Caustic63, you obviously didn't pay attention to the second post. ctrl-f11 works just fine to lower the speed and can be pressed multiple times to lower it further.

ripa wrote:

Also, don't use cycles=auto or cycles=max, but cycles=10000 for example instead.

Reply 5 of 14, by Caustic63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used the ctrl f11 command while outside of the game... I wonder would it work if I do it while playing the game?

Reply 6 of 14, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caustic63 wrote:

I used the ctrl f11 command while outside of the game... I wonder would it work if I do it while playing the game?

Yes, but you are better off setting a fixed cycle rate at the beginning in games that need it. You can even change it by typing cycles=10000 into DOSBox and hiting enter if you don't want to have it in the configuration file.

Reply 7 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Run the game in a window and look at the cycle count in DOSBox's title bar to see how much you're changing it each time you hit ctrl+f11

Reply 8 of 14, by Caustic63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the help i got it working properly. It only really works on 1% though, but i think it would be optimal around 3%. Any idea how I can adjust it by single percentage points instead of by five at once which cntrl f11 does?

Reply 9 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you can achieve that by editting DOSBox configuration.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Please read the VERY FIRST reply in this thread, as well as all the other notes
that tell you that you should use a FIXED cycle count.

Reply 11 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you have cycles=auto or cycles=max and it's causing DOSBox to use as many cycles as possible. Try opening your dosbox config and changing the cycles= setting to something like cycles=3000 then adjust from there.

ripa's post explains the same thing, and everyone keeps ignoring it 🙁

Reply 12 of 14, by Caustic63

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help in getting this game running for me, it means a lot!

That being said though, how do you open the DOSbox config to adjust the cycles?

Reply 13 of 14, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read the readme, read the howto guides, read the wiki page.

Reply 14 of 14, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long story short: Start menu -> Programs -> Dosbox -> Configuration -> Edit Configuration