CD-ROM driver issues and HDD size question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Crashdance22 wrote:

While I'm at it, how would I go about formatting the HDD? I created a logical DOS partition within DOS, but the drive letters of the primary, extended, and logical partitions confuse me because the image is already mounted to C: in DOSBox. Is image mounting done by file or by partition? Need some clarification on that.

Why are you trying to create multiple partitions inside the image file!? Just make a single primary partition and leave it at that. If you need more than one partition, make a second image file.

And if you're doing something hilariously complicated that does require the usage of a virtual hard drive with multiple partitions, quit wasting your time and just get VMware or Virtual PC. Why are you so determined to install Windows 98 in DOSBox anyway? As previously stated, it's a really bad idea.

Anyway, you might try playing with some of the switches for the Windows 98 setup.exe to bypass some of the system checks:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186111

Reply 21 of 26, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

w98 may require special dosbox settings but i didn't run it lately so i can
second Jorpho's advice to use a virtualizer or bochs for win9x.

Reply 22 of 26, by Crashdance22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You must note that this is the first time I've ever done anything with virtual machines. Hence my profile sentence. I created a logical partition because it's required on real machines running Win98, from my experience.

I'll also note that I am done with this, just don't be so rude about it. The reason I'm trying to get this working is because I want to get some old 1995+ games running, and I read that some virtual machines aren't good for gaming.

Now before I go along with using a VM, which one would you recommend?

Reply 23 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Crashdance22 wrote:

I created a logical partition because it's required on real machines running Win98, from my experience.

I don't think Windows 98 can even boot from a logical partition.

I'll also note that I am done with this, just don't be so rude about it.

You were told in the fifth post in this thread that Windows 9x in DOSBox "will freeze,crash, or possibly blow up your computer." It is rude to brazenly disregard such sensible advice.

The reason I'm trying to get this working is because I want to get some old 1995+ games running, and I read that some virtual machines aren't good for gaming.

That depends on what sort of games. DOSBox is definitely not good for gaming if you want to run Win9x games from 1995 or later.

Furthermore, at this time there is no virtual machine that is a particularly good idea if you want Win9x and hardware 3D acceleration, so if that's the sort of game you want to run, you'd best find some other way of running it.

Otherwise you will find plenty of debate about the relative superiority of Virtual PC, VMware, and VirtualBox. You will find lots of information by searching. In summary:

VirtualBox generally seems to be the worst choice for Win9x (though not necessarily for other things).

Virtual PC 2007 dropped support for Win9x, but you can either use VPC 2004 or copy the tools from VPC 2004 over to VPC 2007. Note that VPC installs quite nicely in Windows XP Home, even though the installer will tell you that it isn't "supported".

If you go with VMware, use the VMware Player along with a VMX created at http://www.easyvmx.com/ . You will also need to extract the tools iso from VMware Workstation.

Any further advice on these should probably be left for another thread.

Reply 24 of 26, by Crashdance22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks. I'll look into those. 😀 Please close this thread.

Reply 25 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed at OP's request. Good luck with your VM adventures.

Reply 26 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vmware Player 3 RC supports creation of VM's now.

Usually VPC is best for 9x though but as was noted above you have to dig around to find the additions and it's quite possible 9x is no longer ideal with the Virtual PC that's for Windows 7. I don't know since I don't care enough about VPC anymore to even bother with it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline