VOGONS

First post, by Muyfa666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess the topic says all.

I've been using DOSBox for quite some time, but never bothered with frontends.

Is there any "best" frontend, or is it all down to personal oppinion?

I have no idea which frontend to chose. (Windows)

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still haven't found a frontend that feels like it saves time over making quick changes to the dosbox.conf.

Reply 4 of 6, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the one you like more and which is more comfortable to you and which looks better for you!

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use DBGL for when I want to casually play dos games easy and make some database of them. It's what I use to have a self-contained collection that doesn't rely on absolute paths.

I tried to like Dfend Reloaded, but it has some way of crashing the DOSBox it ships with, and can't be compatible with the dosroot I use with DBGL, and there seems to be integration into searching shady abandonware sites right in it, as if they were the only source of DOS games ever, which is odd because it contradicts their 'legal only' views with freeware/shareware dos game bundles on site.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My suggestion:

- DBGL for regular users of DOSBox.

- D-Fend Reloaded for the power user.

As for those "shady" abandonware sites DFR limks to, AFAIK they only offer shareware or freeware games. I can't see anything wrong with that. And in any case I'm sure if the DOSBox team feels it's inadequate and lets the author know he won't mind removing the links. There's even a disclaimer in DFR mentioning the links may be removed at any time.