VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My current computer is running a single-core AMD 4000+ San Diego core and it runs most games great. However, on a game that really pushes the limit, like Battlespire, I get significant FPS drops on the more open areas of the game.

I'm awaiting the parts to build my new PC and it will have an i7 920. Being that this CPU has four cores, only one of which will be utilized by DOSBOX should I expectany performance gains?

I guess the overall question here - which to me isn't as obvious as it should be - which CPU is better for this emulator?

Reply 1 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will get gains, but still, don't expect total smoothness. Battlespire ran like crap on everything i've seen. It uses 640x480x65536 and no other option is available (except for crappy still-slow pixel doubling to simulate 320x240)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 22, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently running an i7 940 (with a fast graphics card, GTX 295) and I'd guess I get about 15fps in Battlespire. Which is about what I got when it came out I think, so that seems appropriate =).

I have never been able to finish it under Dosbox though - mostly for lack of trying, earlier versions were too slow or my machine was, and since Dosbox caught up I just haven't gone through it.

I guess the good news is that you can get it to playable levels, considering your 920 is pretty close to the 940 I'm using in the first place.

-Frob

Reply 3 of 22, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really!? That's the best it can do? I get 20ish FPS on my single-core in the complete 'indoor' levels.. but as I got further along certain areas become sluggish.

Though, really, if those processors can't maintain 20+ FPS throughout I would say its just going to have to wait for better emulators (future DOSBOX releases, that is). On the very same PC now that Battlespire is playable - but not perfect - it was completely unplayable not too many DOSBOX releases back. So... I suppose a 0.74, .75, .76 - etc, etc will be more likely to 'liquify' this beastly demanding title than the next THREE generations of CPUs.

Reply 4 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance in DOSBox for PC's as far as code optimization is pretty much at it's peak, there may be a few optimizations that might give a small fps increase but really the only hope is for faster processors.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frobme wrote:

I'm currently running an i7 940 (with a fast graphics card, GTX 295) and I'd guess I get about 15fps in Battlespire.

You must not be running with the dynamic core or something, that seems very low for your hardware.

The game runs much faster at 320x2?0 than at 640x480, but is playable at both on my (2.4 GHz?) Core 2 Duo laptop.

I just ordered most of the parts for my new Intel Core i7 860 (P55/LGA1156) desktop and am looking forward to testing some of the more demanding DOS games on it under DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 22, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You must not be running with the dynamic core or something, that seems very low for your hardware.

That's a worst case scenario. In the opening area it's quite fast, probably 30+ fps (little bit hard to tell from within Dosbox, I should patch up with the versions that showed FPS previously - guilikoza's I think?). But there are areas later in the game that are quite a bit slower and occasionally show visual updating, which is usually <20fps. Oh, and I'm referring to 640x480 - that's how I played it originally, so that's how I play it now! =)

So basically the worst I could find was still playable, which isn't bad at all. Given that Battlespire was one of the most demanding DOS games ever made, pretty encouraging that we're able to play it now, since unless Dosbox gets worse in speed (unlikely!) we're set for most DOS games these days.

-Frob

Reply 8 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is Dosbox optimized to take advantage of multi-core CPUs? And, slightly not related, but, with such a powerful computer like the OP's, why play old DOS games on it? 😜

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 9 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

Is Dosbox optimized to take advantage of multi-core CPUs?

No.

And, slightly not related, but, with such a powerful computer like the OP's, why play old DOS games on it? 😜

QUIET YOU! 😉

Reply 10 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
temptingthelure wrote:

Is Dosbox optimized to take advantage of multi-core CPUs?

No.

Oh, alright then.

DosFreak wrote:

And, slightly not related, but, with such a powerful computer like the OP's, why play old DOS games on it? 😜

QUIET YOU! 😉

😁 😁

Reply 11 of 22, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried running DOS in Virtual PC/Sun Virtualbox? You can get Dos 7.1 for free, it's under the GNU/GPL license.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 12 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I dont think ms dos 7.1 or whatever you want to call it is under the gpl license. There's a dos clone that is, but that's not the one that was included in win9x.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 14 of 22, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

but really the only hope is for faster processors.

How can you say this? I've done searches and found several posts on these forums indicating that DOSBOX will not get multi-core support. So what good is hoping for processors faster than the newest ones out there, when the application will never utilize their speed?

Sorry, I don't mean to come across as boorish. I had just searched here about multiple cores a few days back and was both disappointed by what I found and, admittedly, too ignorant to understand the reasons beyond it.

Besides, this is going on Frobme's assertion of how his 940 runs one of the most demanding games on DOSBOX. I'm mildly skeptical of the possibility that an i7 cannot supply DOSBOX with resources it needs to emulate even an intensive game like Battlespire, at a constant 30FPS+.

Reply 15 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need multiple processors or core's for more speed. Processors got faster before dual processors were invented and they continue to get faster.

Read the reviews of Battlespire for when it came out. Alot of them say it requires a P150+ at high resolution and color depth at 16bit, since this is all rendered in software and emulated by DOSBox it will be slow and there's no possibility for 3D acceleration for the game like there is for RedGuard (RedGuard using Glide in DOSBox most likely runs alot faster but you'd have to ask Gulikoza about that)

So stop worrying about how slow the game is in DOSBox either low the graphics settings or move on to the next game until processors are fast enough to play the game or of course for a different solution to play the game.

Reply 16 of 22, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some multicore support in dosbox, but the biggest resource hog is the cpu emulation. For truly to notice performance improvements on multicore cpus, the cpu emulation would have to be spread over several cores. This is a nearly (if not fully) impossible task.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 18 of 22, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figure I would post an update here.

I'm now running an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz and there is no comparison.

In intensive parts of Battlespire where I would always get under 15FPS, sometimes under 10, according to FRAPS I get 25+ always.... and even more important than the number, which doesn't seem like 'that much' of an increase is that the game is just .... one hundred percent, liquid smooth... whereas you could feel the stuttering in some places on the old AMD.