VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting sound in games without an install.exe?

el_PuSHeR wrote:

That's one of the problems with downloading incomplete illegal games...

[LOCKED]

Except that I payed for the game, Shadow Knights, on virtualsoftware.com but if you want to be both rude and ignorant, without so much as simple questioning of the source/legitimacy, then that's your obviously prerogative on these forums.

Not that it matters now, since I doubt I'll get anything other than, at best, another locked topic, but I'll add that the game actually 'runs' w/o DOSBOX in a prompt, WITH sound... but the stability is very poor. When ran in DOSBOX, it is much smoother, but loses all sound.

Reply 2 of 8, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^ Hey, I don't understand... was that a question?

By game.exe I meant the application launcher itself... it's called shadow.exe.... but no, there is no install.exe or sound setup file.

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worked fine for me. Some older games have sound issues if the cycles are set to high (I didn't have any of those issues with this game on my C2D laptop tho).

You could try lowering the cycles and see if that works. If not then try another copy of the game from Abandonia or the like.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I used MAX cycles, I'll try changing that... see if that hopefully does anything. I wasn't sure if any of those sound settings in the .conf were supposed to be changed.

Could you please post your .conf of this for me please, DOSFreak?

Thanks in advance.

Also, it does say that the only "PC Internal Speaker" is supported... if that helps.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got the sound working!

Just a matter of setting
pcspeaker=false

to

pcspeaker=true

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i am pretty sure that the default configfile of dosbox (which you use I hope as that is one of the troubleshooting steps in the readme) has pcspeaker set to true

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!