VOGONS

Printers in DosBox

Topic actions

First post, by TomasCrespo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a problem and I want to know if DosBox its a solution for my problem or no.

I have a very old software running on Windows 3.11 (over MS-DOS 6.22) and prints a daily report on a printer connectd by pararell port (LPT).

My problem its that the printer has dead and there is no printers for Windows 3.11 today. I have thinked install a Windows XP (or Linux, or...) as host operative system, buy a new usb printer and install in this host SO. Then, install Virtual Box and virtualize Windows 3.11 as client SO. Will Windows 3.11 be able to print on my new USB printer? Will DosBox redirect the Windows 3.11 print to my new USB Hosted printer?

A lot of thanks, I want to hear your advices previous to install

Reply 1 of 5, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The official build of dosbox doesn't have printing support, but the HAL-9000 megabuild does. Here's the link for it: http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/

Reply 2 of 5, by TomasCrespo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, with this patch, I would be able to print in dosbox plain text, for example

type hola.txt > LPT1

And this will be printed in my USB host printer?

Reply 3 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To print to a modern USB printer as you did in MS-DOS you may also need a PCL or PS capable printer (or one with integrated page formatter, not WinPrinters) and do the following.

1.- Share the printer with a name.
2.- Use the command:

Windows 9x/ME: NET USE LPT1: Network pinter /yes
Windows XP/2K: NET USE LPT1: Network pritner /persistent:yes

For instance: net use LPT1: \\mynetwork\HP /persistent:yes

After that you can do echo "hi" > lpt1 for instance, provided your printer is not a WinPrinter.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by TomasCrespo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
To print to a modern USB printer as you did in MS-DOS you may also need a PCL or PS capable printer (or one with integrated page […]
Show full quote

To print to a modern USB printer as you did in MS-DOS you may also need a PCL or PS capable printer (or one with integrated page formatter, not WinPrinters) and do the following.

1.- Share the printer with a name.
2.- Use the command:

Windows 9x/ME: NET USE LPT1: Network pinter /yes
Windows XP/2K: NET USE LPT1: Network pritner /persistent:yes

For instance: net use LPT1: \\mynetwork\HP /persistent:yes

After that you can do echo "hi" > lpt1 for instance, provided your printer is not a WinPrinter.

I suppose that you are talking about use a use a DosBox over WinXp, isnt it?

Configure and share the PS printer in XP and execute net user lpt1: \\mynet\printer /persisten:yes
Then I must be able to use the printer from DosBox, isnt it?

Thanks a lot

Reply 5 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO. That steps are for printing OUTSIDE DOSBox, using the NTVDM for instance.

For printing WITHIN DOSBox, use the HAL Megabuild posted above.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)