VOGONS

IPX troubles

Topic actions

First post, by jerry_ru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have download old game "Hammer of The Gods" and try to run it over the internet.

1. The first way is using dosbox nullmodem and "Hammer of the gods" in "modem/serial" mode
all works but a little slowly than wants.

2. The second way is using dosbox ipxnet and "Hammer of the gods" in "network" mode... but.
But when i selecting "network" an error message occured: "net BIOS driver not detected."
Steps that I do:
- enabling ipx in dosbox cfg
- run dosbox
- "ipxnet startserver localhost" (and ipxnet connect localserver in other instance of dosbox)
- checking "ipxnet status"..... ok
- loading NETBIOS: netbios.exe ... ok (netbios is downloaded by searching in MANY google links... it is terrible to find it.)
- hammer.bat
- selecting network.... error

can anybody help me with this error?

Reply 1 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, I don't think that dosbox has netbios support. 🙁

Reply 2 of 8, by jerry_ru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think dosbox has some netbios support because of i can load netbios.exe and 'warcraft I' runs by it over internet
May be this game need some specofic netbios realisation/driver if any.

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can hope h-a-l-9000 is willing to take a look. he looks after the network stuff in DOSBox currently

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Netbios works (at least last time I tried) with Armada/Hioctane/Magic Carpet/others.

Are you using a Freedos keyb TSR? As that one managed to break Netbios. If not and other Netbios games do work there must be a bug somewhere...

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 8, by jerry_ru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what is "Freedos keyb TSR" ? 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by jerry_ru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No any software except netbios.exe.
Default dosbox configuration.

If other game works through IPX then I think that "Hammer" try to find specific ipx/netbios driver(?). Does anybody using any custom ipx/netbios drivers?