VOGONS

Hardware Bypass

Topic actions

First post, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's indeed true that most applications/games benefit from a fully-emulated hardware environment, but others plainly and simply don't.

This is specially true for demanding 3D software such as Carmageddon, which performs much faster on a real, non-emulated CPU and a glide wrapper.

Now, would it be feasible to allow the user to completely bypass certain emulation elements so that the task is fed directly to the real hardware rather than the emulated one? e.g. emulating everything but the CPU.

Most likely not, but this has been bugging me for ages 😎

Regards.

Reply 1 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How come you think there's even a single dos game that would not
require emulation of privileged instructions on your (pretty protecting) OS?

Reply 2 of 20, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

In english please 😁

Reply 3 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No (==translation).

Reply 4 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vogons wrote:
wd wrote:

In english please 😁

Translation->Code a solution yourself that works will all OS's and CPU types without emulation.

Good luck.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess you're asking about native execution, which is possible (to some extent) on a compatible host CPU. Look up info on QEMU+KQEMU or VirtualBox for examples of virtualizers that allow partial native execution with fallback to emulation. Perhaps DOSBox could do something similar, but it certainly seems like a lot of work to implement; and it might not fit in with the developers' plans for DOSBox, anyway.

Reply 6 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well it doesn't work. Virtualization is fine if the guest is nice, like 32bit user mode
or virtualization-aware 32bit OS code. But for anything that targets DOS you
HAVE to do lots of emulation, even for code in 32bit user mode (which usually
calls extender/bios/dos routines).
That's surely not the translation the poster is looking for.

Reply 7 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Indeed, one has to look a bit harder for info about how well certain types of guest systems take advantage from such virtualization. It does not surprise me that DOS would require a lot of fallback to emulation. 😉

Reply 9 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maxedout.png

Reply 10 of 20, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@wd: fair enough.

@ripsaw8080: the type of virtualization I have tried is nowhere near as fast as the real thing. Basically I meant the ability to operate more like soundfx2000 in these cases, which doesn't emulate CPU whatsoever.

Reply 11 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But with soundfx2000 (or VDMSound) you're talking about the NTVDM, or something like it, which is a virtualizer that basically does the kind of thing I was referring to: execute as much code natively as possible, and emulate the rest. As you probably know, the NTVDM is very quirky and has spotty compatibility with DOS programs, games in particular. I'm sure DOSBox would do a better job of emulating the hardware, but you're still talking about integrating native execution.

Reply 12 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dosemu for Linux does more of what you're asking for, though the problem there... it's stuck on Linux. 🙁

Though it is great, it sucks for anything that isn't a modern DOS game without independent timing and speed throttling (i.e. the whole damn '80s)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 20, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:
Well it doesn't work. Virtualization is fine if the guest is nice, like 32bit user mode or virtualization-aware 32bit OS code. B […]
Show full quote

Well it doesn't work. Virtualization is fine if the guest is nice, like 32bit user mode
or virtualization-aware 32bit OS code. But for anything that targets DOS you
HAVE to do lots of emulation, even for code in 32bit user mode (which usually
calls extender/bios/dos routines).
That's surely not the translation the poster is looking for.

Isn't DOSBox BIOS and DOS handling simulation? It's native code, not processed by the CPU emulation like executables. Slightly slower than original for some instances depending on extra overhead, but way faster than emulation.

Last edited by ih8registrations on 2010-02-12, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

someone should port dosemu to windows

Reply 15 of 20, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The advantage of DOSEMU was its use of v86 mode, which because of stupid AMD, we don't have in 64bit mode(rather than have the project die off, they've since switched to using QEMU CPU core for execution.) I posted on vogons about a patent application by Microsoft I ran across, where they were looking to patent a method of switching back and forth between real and 64bit mode, doing so would allow the use of v86 mode. It's ludicrous that they're trying to patent an innate function of CPUs(I patent mov ax, immediate!,) but using that technique could speed up execution of 16bit code, aka DOS, to near full speed.

Reply 16 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Isn't DOSBox BIOS and DOS handling simulation? It's native code, not processed by the CPU emulation like executables.

?
Neither is DOSBox BIOS and DOS handling simulation (whatever that means)
nor is it executing the target code natively. The dos/bios callback code is native
code but till the code flow gets there you'll have entered at least one mode switch.

The advantage of DOSEMU was its use of v86 mode

This is also its disadvantage because v86 mode can NOT provide a full virtualization
mode, just check how many hacks (re-enabling the interrupt flag periodically)
they needed just to run dos4gw games.

but using that technique could speed up execution of 16bit code, aka DOS, to near full speed.

Did you check what type of game the OP is talking about? There are only few games
that currently are too slow to play on an x86 system that are 16bit code, and using
a 64bit to 16bit mode switch when executing 16bit code does not sound of any use.

Reply 17 of 20, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOS and DOS built in handling is simulation vs emulation like MESS. With MESS using a binary BIOS image and a disk image of DOS, the BIOS & DOS code is being processed by the CPU emulation. With DOSBox's built in BIOS and DOS, those functions are compiled like the rest of DOSBox, are native to the host. I was saying the BIOS and DOS functions are run natively, not the target code.

> Did you check what type of game the OP is talking about? There are only few games
that currently are too slow to play on an x86 system that are 16bit code, and using a 64bit to 16bit mode switch when executing 16bit code does not sound of any use.

The use is to be able to use what functionality is lost in 64bit mode.

Reply 18 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The use is to be able to use what functionality is lost in 64bit mode.

Using something just because it is there won't help.

Reply 19 of 20, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No kidding.