VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Hamster died on Friday. (Hamster was my computer.) I have a replacement ("Loop"), and I have about finished configuration of it. I have installed DOSBox 0.73 (the same version as I was using on Hamster).

I get three dialog boxes labelled "Windows - No Disk" and a message of "Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c" with choices of Cancel, Try Again, and Continue. The message is the same for the three. I did not get this before.

I have four volumes defined for use in DOSBox: A: (floppy), C: (main hard drive), D: (DVD/ROM), and E: (Hamster's hard drive).

I usually have no floppy in A: when I start DOSBox. If I put a floppy in A:, the error dialog boxes described above are not displayed.

If there is no CD/DVD is D:, the error dialog box is titled "DOSBox 0.73, Cpu Cycles: 3000, Frameskip 0, Program: MOUNT: dosbox.exe - No Disk" with message "There is no disk in the dirve. Please insert a disk into drive D:." and the same three option buttons.

1) Why three error dialogs? If DOSBox knows that there is no disk the first time, why throw the error two more times?
2) The error for no CD/DVD in D: refers to D:. It is more more friendly. Why not the same for A:?
3) Cancel and Continue do the same thing. Yes, Cancel will result in three error dialog boxes just like Continue does. I would have thought Cancel would abort trying to mount on the drive in question.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 2 of 14, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dialog boxes labelled "Windows - No Disk"

Is a window's error message and has little to do with dosbox beyond the fact that dosbox has to interface with windows

aka
windows is broken
dosbox works fine

google the said error message for help

Reply 3 of 14, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[quote="aqrit"][quote]dialog boxes labelled "Windows - No Disk"[/quote]

Is a window's error message and has little to do with dosbox beyond the fact that dosbox has to interface with windows

aka
windows is broken
dosbox works fine

google the said error message for help[/quote]

I did a Google search and see that the problem does not appear to be anything to worry about. I see people having the problem when their systems start. I do not have that; my problem is only when DOSBox starts. I get different error messages when I try to access A: from a DOS windows and from Windows Explorer. I am surprised that I do not see the same error for D: (CD/DVD) since it is also a removable drive, but whatever.

Since it does not happen with all programs, I expect that something could be done with DOSBox to eliminate the problem, but that is for the Implementers to decide.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 7 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no error message when i mount empty cd/dvd drive, or empty virutal cd/dvd drive.

When I mount an empty virtual floppy drive there is no error message too.

Cannot the same be done to mouning froppy drive?

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Cannot the same be done

Sure it can, send a mail to microsoft.

or leave a floppy in the drive all the time. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

when i click on A:\ in Total Commander it displays only its own message that there is nothing in drive a. (No windows error message) Tota commander displays the same message when i click on my cd drive that there is no cd. I think dosbox could similarly display the message that there is no floppy and doesn't mount it.

Reply 13 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have noticed that sometimes windows complains about missing cd when i run dosbox (also error message appears 3 times, just a more user friendly message with everything understandable in it). But in most cases it doesn't complain. Any reason for that?

Reply 14 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Any reason for that?

Sure, but again only microsoft can answer that.

You might figure out some windows functions (lowlevel or not) that do not
trigger windows' own error handling, but then you'd also have to clutter the
code with a lot of if (no_disk_in_drive) things.