VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by toxee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Basically there's this game, Blackstar Agent of Justice that needs an fm.com file to be running for sound to work in the main game. I can't figure out though how to get it working in dosbox or d-fend. I use to make it work in windows 98 by running it and leaving it open in one window, and then running the games main blakstar.exe file in another. Or in real dos, you just run the fm.com and blakstar.exe in the same prompt session. For whatever reason this isn't working in dosbox. I run fm.com and it gives me an installed message, and then when I run Blackstar I get no music.

What the proper method to get two things working in dosbox, and do any of you d-fend folks no what kind of switches I could use to make fm.com run automatically with blackstar so I don't have to go the slow prompt way? thanks!

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Verify that you are using the proper IRQ/DMA/Port settings in the game.

If you want to run multiple commands in DOSBox then you either put them in a batch file or put them in the [autoexec] section of DOSBox.conf.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 14, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Make a simple batch file and save it into the same directory as you have fm.com and blakstar.exe

Call it blak.bat

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D3 T1
fm
blakstar

Launch the file with dosbox.

Tested on DOSBox 0.73, in Ubuntu 9.10
Music works as expected.

You are 199k RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove any memory resident programs, Dude.
-- California Games v 1.01 2/23/88

Reply 7 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game uses a sound driver that apparently does not work with SB16 or SBPro2, but the other SB types work. I can tell that you came up with "BLASTER=A220 I7 D3 T1" from the game's SOUND.DOC file, but note that it says your environment variable will be *similar* to that. In general you should not directly set the BLASTER environment variable, and let DOSBox build it from the SB settings. In this case it does not cause a problem because there is only FM music and no digital sound, but indicating DMA 3 in the environment variable when DOSBox is configured for DMA 1 (the default) could cause problems.

A better way to get sound working in the game is to use sbtype=sb1 in the dosbox.conf instead of sbtype=sb16; or if you prefer to make a batch file:

sbtype sb1
fm
blakstar

Reply 8 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ripsaw8080 game works with sbpro2 too

works with sb16 too if you change blasters T value to 0-4
5 and more doesn't work
it is only Tx dependent
you can even start fm.com first and change T later.

Reply 9 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The T parameter is changed by sbtype, and it is still best practice to change DOSBox's SB settings than to change the BLASTER environment variable directly, even if it's not critical in this case. Please do not obfuscate the important point with pointless details.

Reply 11 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The FM driver says "Sound Blaster Card Version" copyright 1990; which predates even SBPro1, so what are the chances that it will use OPL3? If you could use a later version of the FM driver with the game... then "maybe".

Anyway, I only objected to you suggesting that changing the BLASTER environment variable is enough. Sure, it's enough in this case, but it's not the right way to do it in general, because there are cases where it is NOT enough.

Reply 13 of 14, by toxee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, that did the trick alright, I was able to run the new bat in D-fend too which is great too know I can run multiple things at once in that. Thanks a ton for the help, my question seemed like a general dosbox functionality question, didn't have much to do with specs or version but I will try to drop that next time so as not to offend.