Reply 20 of 26, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
[Autoexec]
mount c machine\disk
imgmount d machine\cdrom\xcom3mus.iso -t iso
c:

Then the player needs to run install/setup. After that, they can edit the autoexec to have the game started instantly (and, possibly, have it to close when game ends).

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.

Reply 22 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sadist boar wrote:

[quote="rcblanke"][quote="HunterZ"]I'd really like to see a frontend that lets you create .conf's for individual games by starting with a generic template and just overriding the particular settings that need to be different for a particular game. That way you could also make changes globally by changing the template itself. Maybe I should try to write one sometime as an exercise in GUI programming.

This is _exactly_ what DBGL does.[/quote]Tried DBGL and disliked it...[/size][/color][/quote]
Same, something about it put me off, but it was too long ago to remember. I should probably take a second look.

Reply 23 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Same, something about it put me off, but it was too long ago to remember. I should probably take a second look.

• A lot of options not capable to plain DOSBox I'm using, but even visible.
• The Mac port offering options not capable to Mac version of DOSBox.

Klimawandel.

Reply 24 of 26, by TheoGeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

> What I'd like to see is a simple tool where you just type in the game's path,
> get it's required PC stats off some game database, and save it as a .conf
> with those specifications and game's path mounted

Sorry to sound like a broken record by repeating what has already been said, but please at least try D-Fend Reloaded. I have only had to tweak a few of the many games I have because D-Fend has configs for many games in its database already. You can also download game information from various websites (think of an analogy to MP3 tags), and it has a handy shortcut interface like MAME. I open D-Fend, can sort by genre or whatever, and then double click on the nifty icon that was downloaded from Mobygames and off I go.

You can customize any options via the GUI that are available through the config file.

It is SUPER easy to configure. It took me all of 3 minutes to configure all 9 of my Ultima Games - and most of that time was spent figuring out the graphics options for the best display (do I want scanlines or not kind of things.)

Reply 25 of 26, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

that is a little more complex than what you think, since games need to run their OWN setup too , for soundcards etc...

Inner setup makes a file. So a branched batch can do it. If game's parameter file exists, run game's EXE. If it doesn't, run setup. That is how to do it all in a simple set. I have no examples of a pre-game (midway) batch like I described, but I have an example of a frontend batch - dosbox.bat

@echo off
echo 1 - Hercules Monochrome
echo 2 - EGA
echo 3 - exit
SET /P M=type 1, 2 or 3 then press Enter::
IF %M%==1 GOTO 1
IF %M%==2 GOTO 2
IF %M%==3 GOTO 3
:1
start dosbox.exe -conf herc.conf
:2
start dosbox.exe -conf EGA.conf
:3
exit

This can be used as a "menu" batch for a game, if you replace the start commands with the ones for the game's setup and start. There was even a Dizzy build somewhere, featuring a similar batch-menu.

Reply 26 of 26, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Essentially, the frontend I'd like would be like D-box, only with the ability to determine the config based on Mobygames entry. 😀