VOGONS

Common searches

Game cheating

Topic actions

First post, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to be able to use a memory editor with dosbox under Linux to find and edit memory values. I have used a program called scanmem, but I can never get it to find a value that I'm looking for. It works under native games, but not in DosBox. Is there a better tool for the job? Thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe using Game Wizard 32 inside DOSBox will work. I know some Windows memory editors that work, but I don't know what Linux programs work.

If you find one of those, please share your knowledge...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually found Game Wizard 32 from a suggestion on another post, but no instructions on how to use it were included so it was useless to me. I ran the GW.EXE binary and it just hangs. I even tried the GWTUTOR.EXE and it does the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what it's worth I have used scanmem to cheat running crossfire in DOSBox (so many games by that name, I mean the one from 1981 from Online Systems that became Sierra Online.)

Anyway, I haven't tried this personally, but there is a GUI front-end for scanmem called GameConqueror.

http://code.google.com/p/scanmem/wiki/GameConqueror

You can try that out and see if you are more successful.

You are 199k RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove any memory resident programs, Dude.
-- California Games v 1.01 2/23/88

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's something called The Infinity Machine that will work from within DOSBox, but I doubt it will work if the game you want to cheat in uses particularly crazy memory tricks.
Cheat App for DOS