VOGONS

Use joystick as mouse

Topic actions

First post, by moljac024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to use a joystick (or gamepad) as a mouse in dosbox?
I use Linux as the OS, and tried with a program called Qjoypad - with that program it's possible to map gamepad buttons to keyboard/mouse buttons and mouse movements but when i try to move the cursor using the joystick in dosbox, the cursor just disappers into the lower right corner of the screen. The gamepad buttons for left and right clicks work though. I tried setting joystick=none, thinking that dosbox trying to emulate the joystick would cause a conflict of some sort but no luck.

So, can this be done at all?

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Currently not, nor planned though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by moljac024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is there no way into tricking dosbox into thinking the joystick is the mouse? Not even on the OS level?

Reply 4 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also ask google too...you'll probably be glad you did, if you ask nice and the right question. Hell, perhaps you could ask it about jmouse...
If you fool the OS into thinking the joystick is something else, maybe if you turn it off in dosbox.conf...you might get what you want.
I hate playing mortal kombat trilogy with a keyboard and I never could get my joystick to use all buttons in the DOS version of the game...solution? Use joytokey...works wonders in Dosbox for many games if you need a lot of buttons that the game won't recognize from a joystick...I don't think using jmouse should be any different.

Reply 5 of 6, by moljac024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem is I did try just that - disabled joystick in dosbox, while making the OS use the joystick as a mouse with the program qjoypad. Still, the mouse doesn't work in dosbox, it won't move with the joystick.

Reply 6 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a reason why I recommended jmouse...