VOGONS

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it to install and it runs great....except for that I have no sound.

Reply 1 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone here?

Reply 2 of 19, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you should configure the game's sound options.

Reply 3 of 19, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There may be sound options in the setup or install program that need to be set.
The sounds options may be stored in a batch file which starts the game in place of the executable.

Reply 4 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is no batch file with options and the install only sets the vga settings and I edited the config file and it still doesn't work.

Reply 5 of 19, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a file with a .cfg extension in the demo folder? If so, open it with a text editor and tell me what it reads under the [Music] and [Sound Effects] section. Are you sure the demo has sound, where can I get it?

Reply 6 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, the SC2K DOS demo (as well as the retail version) can be reconfigured for sound and video driver after installation by simply running INSTALL.EXE within the game's installed directory.

Memory is a bit hazy, but i think that I may have had to also twiddle around with DOSBox's "sbtype=" line (under the "[sblaster]" section) in my "DOSBox.conf" file. Can't remember what I had to set it to (or even if I actually had to play around with that setting in the first place); but maybe "sb1", "sb2", "sbpro1", or "sbpro2" (?).

Either way, I do indeed remember getting sound and music out of the demo and retail versions like (or similar to) this.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 7 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the demo from Cnet downloads here: click the link

Last edited by dosquest on 2010-11-28, 02:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 19, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I got the demo and I'm saddened to tell you that it doesn't include sound.
SimCity 2000 included it's audio drivers in a sound subfolder...that is not present, a clue to this is also the fact that install.exe will only let you change the video options, not the audio ones (the complete game will let you do so)
Even if I use the .cfg file from a complete sc2000 with audio options set, no sound will play: the audio drivers simply aren't there. And, if you check the options menu in the demo, sure enough, sound and music are grayed...so...that's it.

Reply 9 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodbat wrote:

Ok, I got the demo and I'm saddened to tell you that it doesn't include sound.

My memory must have been off on that one. Been so long since I twiddled with the demo, I must have forgotten about the lack of sound (and was prolly confusing the retail version's sound with the demo version).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 10 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But, why would they give you a demo that has no sound? The sound effects are part of what makes simcity2000 great 🙁

Reply 11 of 19, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, probably because, at the time of release, downloading such a demo was quite a feat, sound would have made the file even bigger, therefore a problem.

Reply 12 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just may be confusing this with another game (or other games in general), but I also seem to remember a picture "slideshow" sort of pre-release demo that Maxis released of SC2K for DOS back in the day.

I could be confusing it with another game though (as I've known of several games where the companies released pre-release slideshow demos back in the day).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 13 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, wasn't it the windows 95 version the one that had sounds? I have a memory as a kid playing a demo of sc2000 WITH sound, but I don't remember which version of the demo it was. Edit: Well, if the dos demo has no sound then the win95 one must of been the one I remember.

Reply 14 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The DOS version also had sounds and music. What it didn't have was that extra zoom level and variable screen resolution

back in the day, demos ran themselves!!!!!!!!! get off my lawn!

p.s. there is a win95 demo but i'll have to relocate that

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You do that...Also get off of my dir!!! Damn kids now days with their "mouses" and "google"...*Grumble*

Reply 16 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Damn kids now days with their "mouses" and "google"...*Grumble*

🤣!! 😀

P.S. After Googling for a bit, I did find a few references to an SC2K for DOS demo where the ZIP was about 1.2 megs or so (about 250kb or so larger than the soundless demo). Everything that I found about this one said that it was simply a slideshow demo (which may have been what I was thinking of previously).

BTW, I've prolly posted this here at Vogons previously, my SC2K/SimCopter stuff -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/simcity_2000/sc2stuff.htm .

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 17 of 19, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'll look int that. Now does that site host other maxis programs?

Reply 18 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't the game use the same Miles drivers as the other Maxis DOS releases?

Reply 19 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Now does that site host other maxis programs?

If you're refering to the link I posted above, that is simply my meager little SC2K/SimCopter fan page of sorts, with a few of my own little goodies for the game(s).

Jorpho wrote:

Doesn't the game use the same Miles drivers as the other Maxis DOS releases?

The retail version of the DOS version does indeed (*.AD/*.ADV/etc...).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel