VOGONS

First post, by mattlok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everybody,

I thought i give this a shot.

I use Dos In A Box to play X-Com.

Ironically at work we have an only EasyLabel software from the X-Com days which also requires dos.

So i gave Dos In A Box a shot at running my EasyLabel Dos software and it worked great as a program.

I even got the serial port to work which the printer is connceted to.

My only problem is, i also need the LPT1 port to work becasue the EasyLabel software uses a Parallel Port Key, hence that's why the printer is on the serial port (9 pin - com1)

This all came about this week because our pentium pro machine died finally and we needed to run EasyLabel on Dos (XP's DOS did not work properly with EasyLabel)
Any help is greatly apprecaited!!!

Reply 1 of 5, by mattlok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i forgot to mention

my manager is willing to put $50 towards donation for a solution to the LPT1

Thx

Reply 3 of 5, by mattlok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok,

hey thanks for the reply.

the only problems with running EasyLabel DOS in XP or higher, is that the app actually crashes and exits out of dos right away.

It has no problem running in windows 98, but none of our P4 dell machines will run windows 98.

So "DosBox" was the only solutions we could find that would run the EasyLabel.

So we really like to have the app run through DosBox - we just need to have LPT1 to work with the serial port.

Reply 4 of 5, by johnswolter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The LPT1 support clearly is still an undocumented issue. I've found many requests to solve this problem with replies that sound ignorant of systems level issues. One thing stressed over and over inside the FOSS community is to respond to your users. DOSBox is not on printer issues.

It was suggested while I was getting similar answers on the VirtualBox site that DOSBox would solve all my problems. It's clear DOSBox is not easy to get working for the average character mode programs. I have 28 years programming experience starting with DOS 1.0. Going back to reading the source code makes no sense.

This issue should be completely and clearly documented in the FAQ my now. I see questions back 5 years about the same issue. It's time to put down the game consoles and get back to work on this printer issue.

Help those who are your supports and they will make you famous.

Reply 5 of 5, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's time to put down the game consoles and get back to work on this printer issue.

No.

Help those who are your supports and they will make you famous.

No.