VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wolfenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, there's not much else to say. I have a 1600x900 resolution laptop. With any game, if the resolution is set to anything below that, the windowed mode doesn't take up the entire screen and the full screen mode is blurred. I haven't touched the config file before this, and whenever I played a game on DosBox, there would be a blur. Recently, I've discovered what resolutions actually are, and now want to play full screen without that damn, annoying, stupid blur. I hate blurring on any game, hate it, hate it, hate it.

So I go to the manual and find this:

FULLSCREEN: How do I change to fullscreen? Press alt-enter. Alternatively: Edit the configuration file of DOSBox and cha […]
Show full quote

FULLSCREEN: How do I change to fullscreen?
Press alt-enter. Alternatively: Edit the configuration file of DOSBox and
change the option fullscreen=false to fullscreen=true. If fullscreen looks
wrong in your opinion: Play with the options: fullresolution, output and
aspect in the configuration file of DOSBox. To get back from fullscreen
mode: Press alt-enter again.

Obviously I knew about ALT+Enter, but the NEXT part is what caught my eye. YES, it does look wrong! There's a blur! It's retarded! So it...Tells me to "Play" with the options? As far as I know, there's no place in the manual telling me every word that could go after specific configurations in the config file.

Anyway, this is the REAL annoying part, I find "fullresolution" in the config and change it to 1600x900! And guess. What. When I go full screen, the program is the same size as if it were windowed, there's just a huge black border around everything! Naturally, I assumed this had to do with the aspect ratio. So I scroll down to aspect, and see this:

[render] # frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one. # aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method […]
Show full quote

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
# Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

So I try making aspect true, and nothing. Of course. Then there's output. Well, I'm screwed there! It just says, "Output=Surface." Thanks for the thorough instructions! I'm just supposed to "Play" with it? How hard would it be to explain what the different words I could put in front of "Output" would be? Come on!

Also there's "Fulldouble," and of course I have no idea what that means (I'm such an idiot!) and I forget if that was originally true or false (PLEASE tell me!) but either one did NOT change anything.

So I'm pretty much screwed. Why can't the manual just...Be a good manual? Seriously!? If there's one thing I can't godamn stand, it's someone expecting me to know things when it's NOT MY FAULT I don't know them. I just want to play some Doom, cut me a break!!!

Thanks for helping me,

Wolfenstein

Reply 1 of 4, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you pay for DOSBox? If not, tone done your conceited aggression, dude, the developers don't owe you a fucking thing. Ever heard of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? Or of being friendly? Doesn't seem so.

Read the descriptions in the # comment lines inside the config file itself. They give you a list of all possible values for the various options.

Try output=openglnb. Should give you scaling without blurring. If that doesn't work, change the "scaler" option, try the values given in the config file. I.e. play with it!

And be aware that hardly any DOS game is able to run at 1600x900 natively, since cards of the era simply didn't offer such high resolutions. In fact *most* DOS games run at a fixed resolution, often only 320x200; blur was not a problem on CRT monitors. So you will have to live either with scaling or a black border.

As for doom, I hear that there are modern ports that run natively on Windows, which might serve you better.

Sheesh!

tearex

Reply 3 of 4, by cedz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something I encountered when I was playing around with my settings (and somehow managed to make my resolution worse rather than better) was that, if you go to Start>All Programs>DosBox0.74>Options>Reset Options, it will refresh your .conf as if you didn't touch it 😀

Cheers

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, reset is pretty obvious wording...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper