VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by strader327

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, the computer I have currently is a HP model that I bought a few weeks back. The graphics that came with it is ati radeon 3000. Now all my games are running fine the only issue is after a few minutes of running my games the computer feels very hot to the touch and the fans start working overtime. Assuming that it is coming from the graphics compartment what would you think would be the best way to keep my computer from overheating? Could downloading a driver help the situation? Or should I get a extra fan for the computer? :confused:

Last edited by strader327 on 2011-02-02, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Open it up and blow it out with compressed air.
Replace thermal paste where needed.
Verify that for whatever chipset your laptop is using that it's power management settings are working properly.

In the future never get a dedicated graphics card for your laptop if you are worried about laptop heat.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like it's desktop board with the IGP that maybe running on the warmer side or just like dosfreak mentioned, the power management may not be properly configured.

My guess is you are using a motherboard based on the AMD 780/790G or GX chipset as it appears to have the onboard Radeon 3xxx series GPU.

I bet it does have to do with how HP setup the power management settings.

Check on HP's website for you particular model and verify if this maybe a known issue or not, maybe a firmware update is available.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hwmonitor can help you get actual numbers instead of just using your probably-not-celsius-graded-hand.
Also, putting extra fans might help or hinder, depends on the temps, fan locations, etc. A new driver isn't all that likely to help, but it won't hinder.
Some video cards are known noise makers...that's why some magazines and sites started listing their db metrics.