Best regards

Ant

Reply 3 of 9, by hcn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

copy command.com to c:\jtdata

I forgot to inform you: windows 7 64-bit version seems not to accept /use command.com (I have a command.com from vista copied to my new windows 7 pc. Is there a command.com somewhere in windows 7 (I can't find it).

Help please.....

Best regards

Ant

Reply 5 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems you have the source...why not recompile it with Free Pascal? There's a DOS go32v2 version that could work with DosBox.
Also does gevinlot.exe really need a new shell? You could try

exec('c:\jhdata\lotto\gevinlot.exe');

by itself, see if it works. It might or might not need

swapvectors;

On another note gevinlot.exe will probably not run under x64, since it's likely to be a 16 bit program...needing commad.com and all (that won' run either, same reasons).

Reply 6 of 9, by hcn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thankyou bloodbat,

But the issue is to make my old turbopascal programs run in x64. And the mentioned exec-statement is 1 out of more commands that do not work in dosbox.

Is there a way to do this in dosbox on win 7 x64?
I have now installed virtualbox and in that installed windows xp. In there the programs work, but it is workaround, that I don't like.

Hope there is another way, and somebody can help.....

Best regards

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please distinguish between the Windows command prompt and the Dos emulator Dosbox. Otherwise no one can be sure of what you write.
16bit programs WILL NOT work directly on 64bit Windows. No way around that. You will need a VM or an emulator like dosbox.
If you need help with more funczltions you will have to be more detailed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have the source for both...there's Free Pascal for both Win x32 and x64, they will work under Win 64, but you'll probably need to make do without command.com.
FP will recompile your progs with minimal fuzz, unless you use inline assembly, intr and such.

hcn wrote:
thankyou bloodbat, […]
Show full quote

thankyou bloodbat,

But the issue is to make my old turbopascal programs run in x64. And the mentioned exec-statement is 1 out of more commands that do not work in dosbox.

Is there a way to do this in dosbox on win 7 x64?
I have now installed virtualbox and in that installed windows xp. In there the programs work, but it is workaround, that I don't like.

Hope there is another way, and somebody can help.....

Best regards

Reply 9 of 9, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hcn wrote:
Qbix wrote:

copy command.com to c:\jtdata

I forgot to inform you: windows 7 64-bit version seems not to accept /use command.com (I have a command.com from vista copied to my new windows 7 pc. Is there a command.com somewhere in windows 7 (I can't find it).

Just copy the DOSBox built-in "command com" file from the emulated Z: drive to the target location. You have to do the copying from inside DOSBox with the command Qbix told you, as the Z: drive does not exist as far as Windows is concerned.

tearex