VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bakajoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My os (Windows XP Pro SP3) is not behaving well these days. It freezes when I (believe) I click things too quickly for my Intel 3 GHz cpu. So I quit one game and clicked on my DOSBox link to start up CivI. But when the old window disappeared I forgot to wait "3 secs" in order to let the os become stable again and this caused DOSBox to disappear from the monitor.

I thought that it was in "computer ether space" since it didn't quit normally. So I opened my Task Manager and thought to see "dosbox074.exe" (or some such) in order to kill the (Windows ruined) process but didn't see that and then realized I need to know, what is the name of the DOSBox 0.74 executable?

Thanks in advance.

-bj

Reply 2 of 5, by bakajoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I think you mean DOSBox process name, if you intend to shut it down from task manager. It appears to be DOSBox.exe for me (under Win7).

Thanks. You are too quick for me! 😀

I went back to the game to see if I could catch it while it was starting up and then realized I DIDN'T HAVE THE CD IN THE DRIVE!!! ... read my title!

Anyway, embarrassment aside, the name is DOSBox.exe, for which I feel the utter doofus extraordinaire!

Oh, and mae culpa to MS for my incorrect accusation of Windows ruining my app (this time).

Last edited by bakajoe on 2011-03-06, 14:14. Edited 2 times in total.

-bj

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should should should should should should BE "DOSBox.exe" and it should be 3,640KB in size and it should be modified on the 15 of May, 2010

if it's not any of this, return your dosbox to your local sto - i mean download from dosbox.com to make sure.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bakajoe wrote:

It freezes when I (believe) I click things too quickly for my Intel 3 GHz cpu.

By the way, this sounds quite unlikely. XP shouldn't ever crash because of CPU speed unless you have a real dog slow CPU (I mean well below 100 MHz or so) and I don't think you can even install it if your CPU is really too slow.

I'd rather suspect you have tons of useless processes running in the background, or very little RAM, or a messed up Windows installation, or some Malware (Virus, Spyware, Trojan etc.), or a broken driver, or your hard disk is slowly giving up the ghost. Or several of those things.

tearex