VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gates007ca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
When I start a game in DFend Reload it appears it always use my Nvidia card even on games that do not use any graphic power. Is there a way in the DFend setting or the Dosbox setting to only use my intel card so that the power on my laptop is conserve? I don't mind having Nvidia power if I am playing daggerfall but 688 Attack Sub I think intel integrated graphic card is fine. I have tried all renderer already like surface or opengl, etc and they all use nvidia. I tried opening up plain dosbox 0.74 and it always uses nvidia. any help is appreciated.
Gates

Reply 2 of 7, by gates007ca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I forgot to indicate why this is important to me. This is important because it is really draining my battery. For example, while under normal use its discharge rate is about -11,000 mW. However, when dosbox is running on any game, the discharge rate can go from -23,000 mW to 33,000 mW!!! This will run my battery out pretty fast! Normally if I am on the road I get 5 hours use of my laptop but at this discharge rate, I will only get 2 hours max! Please help and thanks for your advice.

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You will probably reduce CPU usage by disabling sound in games. OPL emulation, for example, uses a considerable amount of host CPU.

Are you certain that DOSBox is using the NVidia graphics rather than the integrated graphics? I don't know what would be the deciding factor; you could try setting sdl_videodriver=windib in the environment, but this is just speculating on what might work.

Reply 5 of 7, by gates007ca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I tried Win DIB but Nvidia is still engaged. I know dosbox is very CPU intensive but should not be engaging Nvidia. I saw in the previous DFend version where yhkwong version was not included in the package it did not engage the Nvidia card. Is there any way we can disable or selectively enable Nvidia card when required?

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try disabling the graphics card through device manager and re-enabling it when needed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline