VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95 in DOSBox with 256 colors and CD-ROM support

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DOSGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to create a new thread, but the most appropriate thread to bump (Windows 95 in DOSBox with 256 Colors, Sound, and CD-ROM support) was locked.

I tried to get Windows 95 to work in DOSBox for several years without success. Installation in DOSBox would always fail, and Win95 images created in other emulators would never load. Those who claimed to be running Windows 95 in DOSBox seemed to indicate that only Windows 95A could run in DOSBox, whereas I had only Windows 95B and C.

Today, with great joy, I acquired the original Windows 95 installation CD. Installation in DOSBox still fails at the very end of the installation process, but I was able to install it in Bochs, and I was able to boot the image in DOSBox by adding the line "device emm386.exe frame=e000" in config.sys, per wd's advice. Success! Years of effort have finally been rewarded!

I have no trouble installing SoundBlaster 16 sound in DOSBox, but video is limited to 16 colors. I have tried installing the various S3 drivers that come with Windows 95, as well as legacy drivers from S3's website, without success. I also tried to install Scitech Display Driver 7.0.0.340 Beta, but it dies with an illegal operation message.

Has anyone successfully managed to get 256 or more colors in Windows 95 in DOSBox?

Finally, let me say that I come in peace. I understand that DOSBox is for playing DOS games, not running Windows 95. I also don't expect the devs to support Windows 95. I'm just politely, respectfully asking for help.

Last edited by DOSGuy on 2011-07-30, 17:30. Edited 1 time in total.

"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games

Reply 4 of 36, by DOSGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DirectX 5 installs and works great!

Old DirectX games just don't work under Windows 7 x64, even in Compatibility Mode, and Windows 95 under VirtualBox and VirtualPC is flaky at best. DOSBox is officially the best way to play old Windows 95 games!

"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games

Reply 5 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nope, officially Dosbox is NOT intended for Windows 9x (even though you are right, it's a working mostly great 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sliderider wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Nope, officially Dosbox is NOT intended for Windows 9x (even though you are right, it's a working mostly great 😉)

How do you get Windows to work in DOSBox? Wouldn't you have to reinstall it every time you restarted?

Huh? There are some locked guides on this on the forum.

Reply 9 of 36, by DOSGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I meant unofficially "officially". 😜

And yes, there are many guides on this forum, and I'll be adding a guide to RGB Classic Games as well, so there's no need to go over the procedure in this thread.

@sliderider: No, because you save the installation on a hard drive image.

@Jorpho: All Sega PC games are unplayable on Windows NT-based operating systems (although there is a patch for Sonic CD). Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is horrible under Windows 7 x64 on my computer, and completely unplayable in Windows XP Mode because the mouse goes crazy (impossible to aim). Klingon Honor Guard doesn't work with crap for me in Windows 7 either, although I can run it in Windows XP Mode. It's just a pain to get many older DirectX games to work in modern Windows. You pretty much need Windows 95/98/Me to play a lot of those games.

Reply 10 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOSGuy wrote:

@Jorpho: All Sega PC games are unplayable on Windows NT-based operating systems (although there is a patch for Sonic CD). Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is horrible under Windows 7 x64 on my computer, and completely unplayable in Windows XP Mode because the mouse goes crazy (impossible to aim). Klingon Honor Guard doesn't work with crap for me in Windows 7 either, although I can run it in Windows XP Mode. It's just a pain to get many older DirectX games to work in modern Windows. You pretty much need Windows 95/98/Me to play a lot of those games.

Yes, there are some specific games that do not run under Windows 7, but the reasons are varied and complex and often have nothing to do with the fact that they use an older version of DirectX. There are also plenty of other older DirectX games that do cooperate with Windows 7.

And I'm sure there's got to be a patch of some sort for Dark Forces II. They still sell it on Steam, after all.

As for Sega's PC games, they were so varied that I kind of doubt you've tried them all. Offhand, it looks like there's also a patch for the Windows version of Ecco the Dolphin at http://web8.orcaserver.de/ecco/downloads/programs/index.php .

Reply 11 of 36, by DOSGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There may very well be a patch for all of them, but a patch is unnecessary if you just use Windows 95. Windows 95 runs too slowly for me under Bochs, and I've never been happy with the experience under VirtualBox and Virtual PC. The experience of running Windows 95 games under DOSBox is the same as the experience of running DOS or Windows 3.1 games under DOSBox. I can also easily record my gameplay in DOSBox's lossless ZMBV format, which I use to find the screenshots that I use in my game reviews.

To each his own, of course, but for me, running Windows 95 under DOSBox is the perfect way to play early Win9x games.

Reply 13 of 36, by DOSGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just using standard DOSBox 0.74 at the moment. Everything I've tried to run has worked so far, but I'll remember your warning about Direct3D if anything doesn't work in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply 17 of 36, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a valid point, but I haven't seen any virtualization apps that work as well for playing older games as DosBox, mainly because most of these virtualizers lack vital gaming-related features that are already a part of DosBox, such as on-the-fly speed control and decent soundcard emulation.