VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by inkandpen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

First of all I do not want to record from DosBox (CTRL + ALT + F5) because gradually my game will slow down while it is recording. This does not happen in Fraps.

Fraps records fine but the audio keeps stuttering, and it seems a severe problem. I have tried various audio sample rates, prebuffer and other settings but perhaps there is something which I am missing.

I use DosBox on a Pentium (Prescott) 3.4Ghz with Hyper-Threading enabled and a HD2600 Radeon card. You can find a video illustrating my problem below (the game is Dungeon Master):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NQx3F6ilM

I hope you can help.

Reply 5 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hwh wrote:

It's come to my attention fraps is a buggy piece of crap. Happens in everyone's videos.

I think that's a bit harsh. I use Fraps for many things it just doesn't work well with DOSBox.

I emailed them recently if they could enable exFAT support for files larger than 4GB and they sent me a beta version within days.

There are alternatives in the way of hardware capturing devices if you are seriously getting into making let's play videos.

For basic video capturing the built-in recording feature is sufficient IMO.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2012-05-19, 10:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not a DOSBox specific problem. FRAPS has audio stuttering everywhere, and I have seen the problem with different people.

And before you say it, it's not a performance problem - happens at any frame rate, and just with FRAPS.

Suggest CamStudio.

Reply 7 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have other issues there. Reviewers use FRAPS to benchmark video cards. So it can't be that bad 😀

Have you tested CamStudio with DOSBox?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 11, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar crystal ball which tells me you don't know what I have or what you are talking about. I trust it.

Here's some video recorded with FRAPS, newest version, not my video. Check 3:30 to 5:30. See what the video looks like, and then a little after 4:00 FRAPS freaks out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9woyTJfUKF8

Now if one got that result no matter what resolution or frame rate one recorded in, one would be tempted to say it's not hardware. I would, any way.